Tasks do not appear in the Backlog view.

Vickie Trunnell September 10, 2013

How do I get tasks (not subtasks) to display in the Backlog view? We are running JIRA v5 (I know, we need to upgrade, but that portion is out of my hands!).

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vickie Trunnell September 18, 2013

I gave up trying to get "Tasks" into the Planning board, JIRA is not configured that way. Lots of complaints from people on it (and I agree), but I gave up. Under Administration I created a new "Issue Type" called "Change Request_Task", and link those items to the "Change Request". Not exactly following convention, but how I decided to move ahead.

0 votes
Courtney Pollard June 22, 2021

When I changed the workflow to 'To Do', the tasks popped up in the Backlog. From there, you can drag and place them underneath the Sprint section.

0 votes
Randy Melder September 18, 2013

The way to get this working is to ONLY create projects using the "Agile" type. All issues under Agile projects appear in the backlog.

0 votes
Randy Melder September 13, 2013

Seriously, I agree this is harder than it needs to be. I should be able to create a board, create a sprint and drag+drop issues from any project I want on to the sprint.

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2013

I'm not sure what your problem is but:

1) Issues have to be returned by the filter you use in a particular board - take a look at the filter / maybe you don't include "tasks"

2) the statuses the tasks are inhave to be mapped to the boards columns:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Configuring+Columns

Hope you get it to work,

Cheers Christian

Vickie Trunnell September 10, 2013

I am in the Agile selection from the top menu bar (see attachment), in "Plan" mode. None of the items in the current sprint or Backlog are Tasks, just Change Requests and Defects. How do I get Tasks (not subtasks) to display?

Vickie Trunnell September 13, 2013

Basically I'm finding that I have Tasks or Sub-tasks, and these do not display in the Planning board view. Is there a way to pull Tasks and Sub-tasks into the Planning board?

Are Tasks never associated with a Planning board? That seems odd.

Suggest an answer