Sync "fix version" between two JIRA projects

Garret Zhang March 28, 2023

Hello,

I have two projects in our JIRA instance, NPE and OIM. What I want to achieve is that when a release is edited in the NPE project, it will also sync with the OIM project.

Example:

Below I have a release version of 27.55TTPTEST in the NPE project. If I were to edit this to 27.55TTPTEST-2. I want to see this change reflected in the OIM project.

Capture.PNG

I created a webhook listener in system -> webhook. I then linked this webhook to the automation I created in the OIM project:

Capture.PNG

This does not seem right since this is looping through issues instead of the "release" in JIRA.

Any help is greatly appreciated it.

Thanks,

Garret

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2023

Hello @Garret Zhang 

Jira Automation does not include actions for modifying the Release Version name. You can see the supported actions here:

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-automation-actions/

There are actions to Create Version, Release Version, and Unrelease Version.

There is a Trigger for Release Updated which you might be able to use to detect that the name of a Release was changed. To make a change to a Version name in another project, though I think you would have to use the Send Web Request action to call the REST API endpoint for updating a version.

Garret Zhang March 30, 2023

@Trudy Claspill

is it possible to setup webhooks on a project level?

I found a source saying I can find it in project settings -> webhook. But I don't see this option:

Screenshot 2023-03-30 103328.png

Another question is, if I were to setup webhook on the global level, would it work as well?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2023

Please provide a link to the document you referenced about webhooks.

I have not worked much with webhooks so I don't readily have an answer on if that solution would work.

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2023

@Garret Zhang, can you elaborate what you'd like to use the webhook for? I don't see the need for it.

If you want to do it with automation, I'd suggest it similar to @Trudy Claspill.

Creation is as easy as:

• Trigger: Version created
  • Then: Create version (in the other project)
  • And: Set entity property
    I'd use an entity property on the project to save the relation between the two versions, so that you know which version to update later. If you know a better place, feel free to use that.

Updating would be then sth like:

• Trigger: Version updated
  • Then: Read the project property
    Probably by sending a web request to the project property endpoint
  • And: Update the version
    Probably by sending another web request to the version endpoint

However, this use case would be too tricky for me to recommend. I'd rather recommend an actual syncing app for this use case. But I'm also biased since I work for the team behind Backbone Issue Sync.

You can use one of these version sync apps - our app Backbone also added this feature to sync versions some time last year.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Like Garret Zhang likes this
0 votes
Diana_Architect_ZigiWave
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 30, 2023

@Garret Zhang hi. Diana from ZigiWave here. If you're open to exploring using a 3rd party tools, feel free to check out ZigiOps . It's fully no-code, does not store your data, simply transfers it, and can sync your Jira projects easily. 

Regards, 

Diana

0 votes
Dhiren Notani_Exalate_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2023

Hi @Garret Zhang ,

Thanks for posing your question here.

In this case I would recommend you to use an integration solution like Exalate.

With Exalate you can create an integration between different projects and also sync Versions (Fix Versions, Affected Versions) with ease.

It also provides you a scripting interface where you can choose to sync only the relevant information with the Target project.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Dhiren

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2023

Hi @Dhiren Notani_Exalate_ 

When recommending a marketplace vendor product, please ensure that you disclose your affiliation to that vendor in your post wording. For more information about this, please see:

Atlassian Community online guidelines for Marketplace and Solution Partners

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Atlassian-Community-online-guidelines-for-Marketplace-and/ba-p/689723

Kind regards,
Bill

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders