Sum up story points in epic

Marina Shelestiuk February 2, 2023

Hi,

I am using a Team Managed Project. I can't find a way to sum up story points of tasks and stories and display that value in epic.

So far I came up with the following rule, but l'm showing "No actions performed" in logs.

Any ideas?

jira.png

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2023

Hello @Marina Shelestiuk 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

I see that you are trying to use the lookupIssues object. You must use a Lookup Issues action before that to compile the set of issues for which Story point estimate will be summed up.

Screen Shot 2023-02-02 at 3.22.40 PM.png

Marina Shelestiuk February 6, 2023

Nope, it didn't work. The status in logs:

NO ACTIONS PERFORMED

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2023

Hi @Marina Shelestiuk 

Adding to Trudy's suggestions...

Would you please post an image of the audit log details showing the rule execution?  That may provide more context for what is happening.  Thanks!

Kind regards,
Bill

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2023

@Marina Shelestiuk 

Click on the "Show More" link to the right of the rule execution status to get the additional details.

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 10.15.14 AM.png

Also, for your branch are you using "For Parent" as shown in your original image or are you using "For Epic (parent)" as shown in my image?

Marina Shelestiuk February 7, 2023

I figured out how to create an automation tool for calculating story points of subtasks to the story.

SP of story (1).png

I also created another automation tool for calculating story points of stories to an epic.

SP epic.png

However, story points of stories are only calculated in an epic if I add them manually.

If I add story points to a story, SP of the epic are calculated correctly:

logs manually.png

If I add story points to subtasks, they are calculated correctly by a different rule in the story BUT SP of the epic are not updated

logs autom.png

I've been trying to experiment if/else block, but no success so far. 

My main goal - story points are calculated for a parent issue once story points are added/modified in a child issue

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2023

Hello @Marina Shelestiuk 

For the rule that calculates total story points for an Epic, look at the Rule Details page. 

Make sure this box is checked.

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.15.21 AM.png

Like Marina Shelestiuk likes this
Marina Shelestiuk February 7, 2023

It works now! Thank you very much

Andreas Haaken _APTIS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 28, 2024

@Marina Shelestiuk pls consider that this rule will only work, if you change some story points. But if you add a story that has already some story points, like moving to another Epic, this will not update the calculation. 

1 vote
Bill Jones February 9, 2023

What can I do if I don't have "Lookup issues" as an option?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2023

Hello @Bill Jones 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

Why don't you have the Lookup Issues option? Are you using Jira Server or Jira Data Center?

Bill Jones February 9, 2023

Hey @Trudy Claspill 

Thank you.

Yes, Data Center and Server 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2023

Given that the original post was for Jira Cloud and for Team Managed projects and has an accepted answer, I recommend that you start a brand new Question post for your situation.

And please specify the edition of Jira that you are using (Server or Data Center), and the version.

If you are using Jira Server, or using Jira Data Center older than v9, please also tell us the version of Automation for Jira that you are using.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2023
0 votes
Andrii Chaika September 20, 2023

We have released a plugin which you may use this plugin to display total story points in the epic https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1231982/epic-insights-issue-view-for-jira?tab=overview&hosting=cloud

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2023

As a reminder...When recommending a marketplace vendor product, please ensure you disclose your affiliation to that vendor in your post wording. For more information about this, please see:

Atlassian Community online guidelines for Marketplace and Solution Partners

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer