Subtask reporting (story points)

Andrea Smart December 10, 2021

Hello - I would like to add subtasks for the different components of a story, task or bug i.e Android, FE and BE. I then want to report on the amount of points delivered by each dev (against their subtask). what is the best way to report on this?

1 answer

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2021

Hello @Andrea Smart 

Welcome to the community.

Generally Story Points should not be assigned to sub-tasks. All the built in reporting concerning Story Points considers only the Story Points assigned to issues at the Story/Bug/Task level.

Technically you can add a Story Points field to Sub-tasks, and you could construct your own custom queries to gather that information. But the built in reports will not include that information and there will not be any automatic roll up of the sub-task Story Points to the parent issue.

Can you tell us more about the problem you are trying to solve with this strategy?

Andrea Smart December 17, 2021

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Thanks for your response.

Our solution is divided into multiple components, android, front end and back-end. Each user story typically comprises a combination of these components which would be assigned to different team members to perform. The issue that we have with assigning points at a user story level is that we are unable to see how many points have been assigned to an individual component or user. If we had sight of this we would be in a better position to identify whether a resource has been over allocated or not.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2021

Do you use time tracking? You could be assigning Original Estimates to the sub-tasks (in minutes/hours/days) and basing your reporting on that. You could use the Workload Pie gadget to generate a report of Original Estimate grouped by Assignee or by Component.

Sharmin October 2, 2023

Thank you Andrea for sharing this need,
myself and my teams have suffered from this missing feature in Jira for years and unfortunately Atlassian has never took this request seriously.

By using subtasks we are trying to promote the team collaboration in getting a story/task to "Done" so developers, testers and ... can work closely together on one story together rather than on separate tasks which is against agile culture.

However, there are no simple way to see individual story points assigned to subtasks:

1-  Jira does not roll up story points of subtasks to the parent story/tasks

2- Manually added story points to the Tasks/Story is credited toward the assignee of the task/story and subtask owners don't get the credit.

This feature is very much needed for years and all teams I have worked with wanted to use it but unfortunately Atlassian doe snot seem to see this as a problem. 

Very frustrating indeed!

Like Elizabeth McAskin likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Atlassian does not see this as a problem because it is not a problem with the software.  Jira Software supports scrum, which has nothing to say about sub-tasks.  In scrum you put estimates on sprint items, not fragments of them, which is what a sub-task in Jira is.

The "problem" here is not Jira ignoring estimates, it's your process trying to not do scrum while using a scrum tool!

Sharmin October 4, 2023

I don't agree with this answer; I am talking about a feature called subtask in Jira which existed for many years and as you said correctly this has nothing to do with Scrum. Scrum is not dictating how teams should use Task and Subtask.

Many teams find using subtask helpful and would like to add their estimate per subtask and I think Atlassian should provide a feature or improvement that its customers/users are requesting instead of policing scrum teams.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2023

I am sorry to be so blunt about it, but your "agreement" is irrelevant.  Scrum does not see Jira sub-tasks as sprint items, so their estimates are ignored.

Atlassian are not going to change that, because it would move it away from the way Scrum works.

Daniel Howard
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 28, 2024

I have to agree with Sharmin here Nic.

User Stories are meant to be independently releasable. In essence they are the smallest value-adding blocks of code that are still potentially releasable on their own.

You may be able to release the API for something before the frontend goes out, but that is no longer value-adding, and if you wait for it to be value adding, it must include FE and BE, and is thus not independently releasable.

In short, if your "User Stories" are to actually fit the Scrum model, they must include all the elements required to be minimally functional.

What Atlassian is enforcing here is not "Scrum". They are forcing us to choose between creating "User Stories" that can be estimated and easily planned into a sprint, or to make a true User Story (rather than a fragment of one) which cannot now be effectively planned for capacity.

Jira should ignore the story points of sub-tasks for the purposes of tallying all the points in a sprint, and for burndown/velocity. It should also allow us to set them so we can effectively plan the capacity of the individuals that all contribute to a User Story.

Whether "Scrum" sees Jira sub-tasks or not is irrelevant. Jira sees Jira sub-tasks as sprint items. Jira offers sub-tasks as a feature, they may as well make them as useful as they ought to be. 

Jira is in fact breaking from the Scrum mental model here. They already moved away from the way Scrum works (oddly enough, just in company managed projects, because they allow this in team managed ones), we are simply requesting they allow those of us who prefer to to move back.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 28, 2024

@Daniel Howard Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I don't think you've quite grasped the argument here, a lot of what you have written is right, but you contradict yourself partway through it and get a bit lost in the middle.

>> If your "User Stories" are to actually fit the Scrum model, they must include all the elements required to be minimally functional.

Not the way I would phrase it, but yes.  A completed story should deliver something that shows measurable progress.

>> What Atlassian is enforcing here is not "Scrum". They are forcing us to choose between creating "User Stories" that can be estimated and easily planned into a sprint, or to make a true User Story (rather than a fragment of one) which cannot now be effectively planned for capacity.

That has nothing to do with the question, and makes no sense.  You've tried to define two different types of estimations of stories (story and true story), but not told us what you thing the difference is.

>>Jira should ignore the story points of sub-tasks for the purposes of tallying all the points in a sprint, and for burndown/velocity.

Yes.  It does.  As it should.  That is the whole point of what I've being saying.

Suggest an answer