Sub-tasks are enabled, but do NOT show as an option when creating tasks

Deb April 4, 2019

I have subtasks enabled, and for one project I can create them. So I know what the icon looks like when working on building out a task and its subtasks. 

But for no other project I've created in Jira is that icon appearing, and I've triple checked. Subtasks *are* enabled. 

(I'm having a similar global configuration setting issue with logging time against a project: it's available for one project, but it's not showing for any of the others. So I'm hoping that the solution to this problem is something about the global configuration settings that can be made to populate to all the other projects.) 

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2019

Hi Debra and welcome to the Community. First are you on cloud or server as that changes the how part of the answer here. Sub-tasks are not created from the "Create" (server) or "+" (cloud) buttons. Rather they are created under, while viewing, a specific Task for Story. In cloud (new issue view" there is a sub-task button

sub-task.jpg

while in server you use the "more" drop down i believe. 

Now you say that you can do this today for some projects so I'm guessing the above isn't your issue?

Deb April 4, 2019

I'm on the webapp.  And I've created a lot of sub-tasks for the one project that appears to have the functionality enabled. So yes, I recognize the icon.

All the other projects are not displaying that icon. 

The problem is mine to deal with. The first project was created when my CEO bought Jira. He's given me admin access to everything (I'm the PM).  I've created all the projects into Jira (we're transitioning from another product). All the project I've created have these sorts of problems. His can log time, on mine the functionality is missing, etc. 

Today's problem is that I can't create sub-tasks, as I said, and I need to get this one project's backlog built because it's become active and I need to get the Sprint together. 

Suggest an answer