Structure: Error "You are about to create a generator. It will be impossible to add it to the struct

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2019

I keep getting the following error when trying to "extend with linked issues": 'You are about to create a generator. It will be impossible to add it to the structure because of the automation installed: Cannot add generators to dynamic content. You can drag-and-drop the item to a different location."  I have created JQL for the structure and then am trying to show all my "implements/Implemented By" links using the "Implements" Linking with sub issues "Implemented by".

I have created other structures and have compared the differences and can't find the reason why I keep getting this.

Any insight would be appreciated.

JIRA Server:  Atlassian JIRA Project Management Software (v7.6.6#76008-sha1:5b9e291)

Structure Version: 4.5.1

3 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2019

You have to have the top line highlighted. If you have a previous generator line highlighted instead, you will receive this error.

Alex Gallien July 13, 2020

Thanks for following up on your own question here @JanaW! Saved me a lot of time. What a counterintuitive error message.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Anil Kanigiri January 30, 2022

I did not understand "You have to have the top line highlighted" ? Can you please explain a bit more ?

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 31, 2022

Hello @Anil Kanigiri ,

David from ALM Works here. 

When adding generators to a structure, they have to be added under a part of the structure that is static.  Things like Folders, Issues that were Manually added to the Structure and Memos are all examples of items you can add a generator to.

The static item that everyone building a structure with Generators will have is the name of the structure.  You will see this as the top row of your structure when you have Automation enabled.  I have shared a screenshot of what it looks like below.

Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 8.32.00 AM.png

Please let me know if this helps!

Best Regards,
David Niro
www.almworks.com

Like # people like this
0 votes
Tarun Das August 3, 2020

Excellent suggestions ,  spent almost 3 Hours & was getting the error -  Hi JanaW ,You really helped to overcome this issue...  

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2020

So glad it helped you!

Like extern_Nelson_Loia likes this

Suggest an answer