Story Points in Reports

Deborah Hilton June 15, 2017

When you are in the Edit window for a task, there are two fields, Original Estimate and Remaining Estimate, which I thought might be the field for entering the story points and I had entered integer values there.

But when I look at the Sprint Report, the two sections of the Sprint report labeled Completed Issues and Issues Not Completed I see a rightmost column labeled Story Points and nothing shows up in that column.

1 answer

0 votes
Kim Wall
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2017

Hi Deborah,

The Original Estimate and Remaining Estimate fields are actually time logging fields for logging hours, weeks or days spent and remaining and not story points. 

timetrack.png

For story points, the recommended way of updating this field is via the issues in your scrum board on the backlog screen. The backlog items will have no points showing on the very right if there are no points estimated for the story. It will show a number in a gray oval if there are. By clicking on the backlog item the right side issue detail will pop open and you can click next to the Estimate field to apply an integer numer for your points.

points.png

If an item is already in a running sprint, you cannot change this value via the agile boards as that is considered scope change. 

If needed, you can also work with your JIRA Admin to add the Story Points field to your issue create/edit/view screens so that you can set it in that way as well. If the field is accessible on these screens outside of the agile board, you will be able to change the value after the sprint as started which will be reflected on your agle board reports as a scope change. 

The nature of story points is that you don't get partial credit. Therefore the Remaining Estimate field wouldn't make sense here. You burn all of the points if the item is completed during a sprint, or you burn none if it's not. Your sprint report will reflect that as well. 

Hope this helps,

Kim

Suggest an answer