Sprint Reporting - Planned Vs Actual

Lee Street September 17, 2021

I'm looking to report on each Sprint, what the team actually planned vs what they actually complete of that planned work

Im not looking to do this manually, Im looking for a automatice report which states

Planned 50

Complete 30 of the planned 50

Did not complete 20 of the planned 50

Pulled in 25 (within the Sprint)

Complete 20 of the puled in 25

Did not complete 5 of the pulled in work

The outcome I'm looking at is Sprint Predictability and throughout against the Sprint goal

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Zane eazyBI Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2021

Hi @Lee Street

If you woudl like to analyze Sprint completion or how well the team keeps the focus on the committed tasks or Sprint scope changes (and what has changed) you might consider 3rd party app eazyBI for Jira.

For example, you can build a sprint balance analytics to see how many committed issues (or Story points) were completed and how many committed issues (or story points) were replaced with new issues (story points).

eazyBI-Sprint-balance-report.png

Sprint balance report and other Sprint analytic options you can check out in the eazyBI Demo account: https://eazybi.com/accounts/1000/dashboards/16272-agile

Best,
Zane / support@eazyBI.com

Nicole Martinez October 12, 2021

The percentage this report shows is wrong.

Zane eazyBI Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2021

Hi @Nicole Martinez
The Sprint issues balance report shows three separate columns representing the count of issues, not the percentage.

• The first column shows a count of issues included in the sprint and highlights how many of them were committed how many were added later. 
  • The second column shows a count of issues at the end of the sprint and how many were resolved or unresolved.
  • And the third column shows the count of issues originally committed and also completed in the sprint. This bare will be shorter than.
Nicole Martinez October 14, 2021

Thanks - this is very helpful!

I see 100% showing in the third column, over a bar that is lower.   

Can you tell me what each of the hover percents mean?

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 1.20.18 PM.png

Zane eazyBI Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 15, 2021

Thank you for the screenshot to show where you see the percentage. Now I see where you got confused. It is default functionality to show the value of each column and the percentage of that column composition when hovering the mouse over the chart.

Fo the first column, there is the percentage of committed vs. committed and added. The third column shows 100% because committed of completed is the only value in that column.

You might enable data labels showing values with issue count on the bars so other users would know what to focus their attention on.

1 vote
Andrew Sear January 8, 2022

Hi, I had to extract the sprint report from numerous teams as a json file. Then I could summarize the data for each sprint, merge all the sprint files together, then import in Tableua to generate reports.

1. I manually entered teh URL for sprint reports, which returned json data.

2. Python script to summarize and merge data 

3. Save data as new JSON file

4. Import JSON file into Tableua.

I then had the number of Stories, Tasks, Bugs etc.. added to each sprint, completed, removed, and Story Points for same items. I could calcualte churn rates, predictability, graph against planned v achieved etc...

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2021

The built-in Velocity Chart (available under Reports for a scrum board) shows Points Committed vs. Completed for multiple sprints. Doesn't this meet your need?

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 12.36.23 PM.png

Lee Street September 19, 2021

To my understanding, no.

It does not show if the original 100 story points were the 100 we complete

Thank you though!

Like # people like this
Daniel G_ Sinclair April 19, 2023

Also, this velocity chart is only for one board, right? I need to see numbers across projects and teams in a rollup. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events