Spill over user story to next sprint

harshvardhans November 22, 2020

Hi,

Can some one suggest if there is any option in JIRA to Spill over a user story to nxt sprint without being removed from current sprint.

I can move the user stories from one sprint to another but doint so will remove the user story from current sprint and I will not be able to track it in the current sprint for reporting.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2020

Hi @harshvardhans 

When you close the open sprint, Jira will ask what you want to do with the open issues within it - either move them to the backlog, or to another future sprint.

That way, you can have an issue that has been in multiple sprints. Don't remove it from the open sprint, wait until you close it!

See more about completing sprints on this page.

Ste

Kasey C August 1, 2022

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

May I ask if I don't want to close the sprint, is there other way to move the issue to another sprint but still be able to have the spillover record when I export a burndown report?

Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2022

Yes, you can move the issue to another sprint, you can drag it around in the backlog view.

But, don't.  It makes nonsense of your sprint records and velocity.  Your burndown report will be inaccurate.

You should close the sprint and let the issue "spill over" normally.

Like Kasey C likes this
Sarah Dagher August 4, 2022

Is there a way to manipulate the default setting in order to place the spillover at the top of the next sprint while maintaining the order of the card?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 4, 2022

No, the issue keeps its ranking alongside the rest of the issues in the new sprint.

0 votes
Sheen Kaul April 8, 2022

Hi @harshvardhans 

You can update the sprint no when you edit/open  the ticket. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events