Slow jira - some calls to PermissionManager.hasPermission() take 1.5s

Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2015

Hi,

Our JIRA web pages take long to respond since some days (all clicks anywhere in the UI). I enabled profiling and found out that the cause might be PermissionManager.hasPermission(). There are several of these calls fort each webpage click, the some (not all) of these calls need 1.5 seconds.

I am confident that this is the reason for long reponse times.
Does anyone know how to further drill down this? Has anyone already seen PermissionManager.hasPermission() taking 1500ms? We use ldap / Active Directory but i doubt that each click (after logon) goes through ldap (that's why i think it is not ldap).

Anyone has any idea?

(JIRA 6.3.5)

1 answer

1 vote
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2015

It would depend on how your permissions are set up. If you can change any permissions to be Anyone, this will speed up those checks. If you use any workflow based permission checking, we recommend not doing that if you have a choice and sticking to project based permissions.

Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2015

What is workflow based permission checking? A condition on transitions like "Only users with Resolve Issues permission can execute this transition."? How about the usage of "Current Assignee" or "Reporter" in a permission scheme? Would that also slow things down?

Suggest an answer