Slack integration not showing created issues on Kanban board

Danny July 26, 2021

Hello,

I think I found a bug with the Slack integration. With a new project I can clearly see the Parent epics, and then it correctly shows up on my board. However, after using the project for a bit, when I create an issue from Slack, I cannot pick the Parent epics and the issues no longer show up on my board. They DO show up in my issues list, but not the board. 

- This is cumbersome because I then have to remake the issue on the board for it to show up. 

image.png

I have looked up resetting indexes but I can't find the option. Any thoughts? 

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2021

Hi @Danny , welcome to the Community!

By default in Company Managed projects, the field for Epic associations is called "Epic Link". If this is a Company Managed project, that field being present on the Create screen should make it available in Slack. Does creating an issue in the Jira interface (not Slack) with the "Parent" field give it the correct Epic association?

In Team Managed projects, the Parent link currently doesn't act like a field you can put on the Create screen. If you're in a Team Managed project, this might explain why it's not allowing you to set the parent epic from Slack. You can check to see if it's a Company or Team managed project down in the lower left:

image.png

Let me know which type of project you're in, and if the "Parent" field you have shown associates an issue to an epic when you create it in Jira directly.

Thanks,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Danny July 26, 2021

Greetings Daniel! Thank you for your response. This is a team-managed project. 

When I first create the project it usually appears as "Parent Epic" and I can select the Epics. But after some time it becomes "Parent" and it's no longer visible. For some reason, this time I created a new project and I cannot see any epics to begin with

image.png

Would you recommend that I migrate over to a company managed project in this case?

Danny July 26, 2021

Does creating an issue in the Jira interface (not Slack) with the "Parent" field give it the correct Epic association?

There is no parent field when I click the blue Create button. 

image.png

Usually I create the task, and then I assign the Epic afterwards

image.png

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 29, 2021

Hey @Danny , I've just worked this a bit more with our development team and we've identified this as a bug in how the Slack integration handles Team Managed projects. You can track progress on this on our public Jira instance as API-443 . In the meantime, I would suggest this as a workaround:

1. Create the issue you want from the Slack message, but leave the Parent field blank (obviously it will be blank, as you cannot get any results in the dropdown currently)
  2. When the Jira Cloud app replies as a threaded message with the new issue's information, click the link to open the issue in Jira
  3. Use the Add Parent action on the issue to add it to the correct epic
    image.png

Thanks for working through this issue a bit with me so we could figure out exactly the steps that caused this and get a bug report open!

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Danny July 29, 2021

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for getting back to me! Good to know it was an actual bug and I wasn't going crazy :) 

My main issue still is that I cannot see the issue on my board after creating it on Slack. I followed your instructions above and here is my output:

image.png

It does appear under the epic, but it is just not on the To Do section of my board

Thank you!

Luiz Silva
Atlassian Team
August 6, 2021

Hey @Danny,

I'm with the development team that maintains the app. I'm really glad you reported this issue.

After some digging I was able to determine the app was incorrectly caching some project field data. That explains why you would have a good start but eventually the parent field would break, likely when you switched between team-managed and company-managed projects.

The bug has been fixed since yesterday. When you create an issue now, the "Parent Epic" should be properly rendered and allow you to select the content.

Please, let me know how that goes.

Cheers!

Like Daniel Eads likes this
Noah Joubert November 8, 2022

Hi Luiz, I am not sure if you are still with the development team. In any case, I am experiencing a similar issue.

This is also a team-managed project and when using the "/jira create" command in Slack, the dropdown menu for 'Parent Epic' does not contain all the epics we have in Jira (only three instead of a total six are shown). I have tried creating new epics, just to see if they would appear, but unfortunately they do not.

I'd very grateful for any support.

Katja Ritchie April 24, 2023

Hi @Luiz Silva and @Daniel Eads ! I am having this issue as well - in a team-managed project, creating an issue from a Slack message does not add it to the board. The Slack workflow also does not load any of our epics to choose from.

Setting the epic after the fact on the issue itself does not make the issue visible on the board either.

Is there a fix for this since it was determined to be a bug? The goal is to create issues from Slack messages and have them appear on our board in our team-managed project.

Thanks!

Katja Ritchie April 25, 2023

Disabling the Backlog feature worked - for some reason, issues were only going to the Backlog and needed to be added to the board manually, but disabling the backlog prevented this.

Still unable to assign epics from Slack though - the "parent epics" dropdown comes up with no results in Slack :/ 

Suggest an answer