Showing sub tasks on JIRA board

Vicenco Tarabene November 28, 2022

Hi everyone

I would like for the sub tasks to be visible by default on every member's board?
So that every person will see the ones that are assigned to him / her. Is that possible? 

The only option I see at the moment is for every person to have "group by subtask" filter for the board

Thanks

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2022

Hi @Vicenco Tarabene welcome to the Atlassian Community!

• Kanban board: You should go to board settings -> swimlanes and choose Stories. In this case subtasks will be under the parent.
  • Scrum board: Subtasks are not visible in the Scrum boards in the Backlog view. But subtasks are visible in the Active Sprint view.
Edgar Muit September 19, 2023

Hi @Dave Mathijs how can I show thos subtasks in my active sprint view? Can't find the right setup for it.
And is there a difference between childissues and subtask?
I'm using a scrum board by the way,

Let me know please!

Like # people like this
Nicolas Keller January 21, 2024

This is the correct answer, but actually not a solution to the problem. We are also on a team-managed SCRUM board and would love to see the subtasks on the default view right away. Would it be possible for Atlassian to add an option for this? Where's the best place to ask for this?

Gaurav Kunal
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 2, 2024

Just select "Group By: Subtask" and it shows subtasks in active sprints.

2 votes
Carlos April 26, 2023

Hi, I have my kanban board, and I dont see any "swimlanes" options in the Configure board menu, where I can find that option?

thanks

Vasily Kasatkin May 18, 2023

I experience the same problem. There is no "swimlane" tab or option in the board settings in my current project. Thought I remember having them on the other. What could be the reason for such a difference? @Dave Mathijs 

Like Maksym Kundos likes this
jorge.ovalles May 29, 2023

same here

Like # people like this
0 votes
Dina Aziz March 7, 2024
  • Why i still can't see subtask in my active sprint board even after setting swimlanes to stories ?
  • If we have already swimlane for features, how can i view subtasks ?
0 votes
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2023

@Carlos or @Vasily Kasatkin 

You are in a company-managed software project, right?

Could you please share a screenshot of the board settings of your kanban board?

It should look like this:

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 09.11.45.png

Vasily Kasatkin May 19, 2023

Unfortunately it is a team-managed project.

And settings of the boar look like this:

Jira.jpg

Vasily Kasatkin May 19, 2023

@Dave Mathijs do you think I can do anything about it? there are more limitations connected to it: e.g. I can not delete issues, cause I can not manage permission schemes. 

So I guess, everything is limited because it is a team-managed project. 

If yes, then my question would be how can I change it?

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2023

In case of a team-managed project, you can only group by:

• Assignee
  • Epic
  • Subtask

Epic is only visible when it's defined as an issue type within the project.

So no real swimlanes here.

Vasily Kasatkin May 22, 2023

@Dave Mathijs but the problem with 'grouping" function is the same as was described in the very first post here: one can see subtasks ONLY when groped by subtasks which is uncomfortable for my team cause these subtasks are located in a swimmlane of their user story. 

So is there a chance I can get more settings now?

Maybe to switch to company-managed type of project?

Maybe you know how?

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2023

You cannot switch project type. In that case, you'll need to create a new company-managed project (with a different project key!) and move all issues from the team-managed project to the company-managed project afterwards (with limitations).

There's no possibility to get more settings.

This is another reason why I stay clear of team-managed projects.

Like Ian Klek likes this
Vasily Kasatkin May 26, 2023

Thanks for your help!

Suggest an answer