Show Dependency Lines in Advanced Roadmaps

Kyle Foley June 3, 2021

Hi All,

I am hoping that someone can help me with an issue that I am running into. My team is looking to use Advanced Roadmaps for our gantt view. We want to show dependency lines between issues on the gantt view. This is actually a requirement. Right now, the gantt is filtered to show one Epic so there is no cross project tracking. We are seeing dependency "bubbles" with a 1 in the bubble relating to what that task is dependent on. You then hover over the bubble to see the dependency details. We also have the dependency module enabled but that does not show what we want. Is there any way to show the dependency lines in the gantt view? 

Any help is much appreciated!

Gantt View.PNG

5 answers

3 votes
mike.heyns
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 28, 2022
1 vote
Albert Marti June 16, 2021

Having the same problem here. I read that in "View Settings" I should be able to choose "Lines" within a dependency tab, but I don't see any of that, nothing around dependencies on the view settings.

Any ideas anyone?

Kyle Foley June 23, 2021

The information that I have received so far is that lines are available on Jira Cloud but are not ported to Server yet. You are able to view the dependencies inside of the "dependency' tab but that is not helpful to users that want to track one epic in one project. The current set up for Advanced Roapmaps in Jira Server is for tracking multiple projects across the org. It is just frustrating that lines are not available in Server and confusing why that would not be one of the first features to be added. 

-My team has put in a request for lines to be added to server as an option. Its a small step but hopefully Atlassian adds them soon. We need this feature to move our reporting from Excel into Jira. This is just another roadblock with Jira, one of many.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Kelly Drozd
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2021

@fatshark_krister_larsson Hi there! If you're on cloud from the roadmap view of your plan, click "view settings". In the drop down you should have the option to toggle between lines and badges for your dependency view style. Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 10.22.27 AM.png

David Wuth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2021

I think the request here is once you have the style changed to lines, Jira Cloud only shows lines between epics, not from child stories. I agree that it would be better to have the dependency lines shown down to the story/task level, similar to what is possible to view in the Dependencies Report view.

fatshark_krister_larsson March 29, 2022

So this is my problem I have lines turned on and I have an epic that needs do be done after the other and I see no dependency lines at all (I am on JIRA Cloud)

dependency_test.PNG

.. also yes it took us a year ish to migrate to cloud =P

So it seams like the the only dependency that works to add in cloud that get lines are BLOCKED no other type works at all with lines, you only get warnings.

Also it does not seem to understand what's in the tickets before so you have to create the dependency from the roadmap tool, which tbh is not great as we will have to remake tons dependencies. 

Like Sharon Roberts likes this

Also dependencies do not update if I created them in the roadmap view and I remove the BLOCKS or is BLOCKED BY link in the tickets it self.

The system seams completely decoupled from the tickets links =/

Like Sharon Roberts likes this
Igor Valencic
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 11, 2022

@Kelly Drozd Hi Kelly. i also miss the Lines in the OnPremis Server Solution. Is there a plan when it will be available there ?

thxs

Sascha

Laurent ACHARD
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 28, 2023

Hi all,

I really need this feature also in onepremise Datacenter version. For now, it seems that it is not yet available.

Any availability date to communicate..?

0 votes
fatshark_krister_larsson August 18, 2021

We have the same issue running on cloud, cant find any option for lines at all

Mik_P October 29, 2021

Same for me. 

0 votes
Pritesh Jagani June 21, 2021

Any update on this?

Kyle Foley June 23, 2021

Lines are not available in Jira Server, only in Jira Cloud. We have put a ticket in to port lines from Cloud to Server so hopefully that is added soon. I know of many teams that need this feature for their reporting.

Greg Gosdeck July 9, 2021

we have jira cloud and this is not working for us either. 

Like Mik_P likes this
Mik_P October 29, 2021

Only Epics is possible to display on a timeline. 

Nested tasks are without lines (((

Suggest an answer