Set field on transition only if field is empty

Jeanne Howe
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2014

We are trying to capture certain transition dates for SLA purposes. I know I can set a custom date field as a post function to a transition. The problem is, if the issues moves back through the same transition more than once, the date field is updated each time, over writing the original value. I only want to capture the first time it transitioned. How do I set up a past function that will set the custom date field ONLY if the field is empty

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2014

You can set up a conditional post function. Conditional Post Functions are possible with the Workflow Enhancer plugin. Also see its documentation.

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2014

A simple way is to create 2 transitions;

1. checks and if the field is empty it will be available and sets the date in a post function

2. checks and if field is not empty it will be available and doesn't touch the date.

Mrudula.Madugu March 5, 2019

How to doesn't touch the date using default Jira post function?

Like Joe likes this
Dmitriy Pelevin September 5, 2019

One transition have post function, another not.

What transition to use checked by field value.

Suggest an answer