Send message to Slack (by Webhook) when to already existing issue some certain labels are added?

Andreas Denzler June 24, 2019

Hello everyone,

i have set a Webhook that sends messages in a Slack channel when issues in Jira are created and get some certain labels (i set this in my WebHook event by a JQL Filter) when they are created. This works fine, messages are sent into the Slack channel.

My question now: Is it also possible, that the messages in the Slack channels are also being created, when to already existing issues some certain labels are added afterwards?

jiratoslack.png

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Andreas

3 answers

0 votes
dudde February 8, 2021

+1 on notifications once a label change and nothing more

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2019

Hey Andreas,

Webhooks (and the Slack integration as well) are triggered off events - after the issue is created, these will be things like workflow transitions, assignee updated, etc. Typically a change in labels is not going to trigger an event that's listened to by other services. It's considered a low-impact change that wouldn't be processed by a typical 'issue updated' event.

You catch these issues during a workflow transition pretty easily, but just adding labels (with no other change) isn't going to be enough to trigger a notification either via raw webhook or through any of the Slack integrations that I'm aware of.

While you're looking at Slack notifications, it might be worthwhile to check out the official Atlassian-provided Slack integration for Jira Server. It makes configuration easier than raw webhooks and provides some extra features like issue mention unfurling (shows you a preview of the issue in Slack if you mention an issue key like KEY-123).

Cheers,
Daniel

0 votes
Andreas Denzler June 26, 2019

Is there no way to catch the events when new labels are set to the issue?

Suggest an answer