Searching with JQL for a issue on a field with "IT" value

David Laperle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2019

Hi Atlassian Masters,

today i bring to you something weird that i'm sure some of you have seen, but i cannot search for it properly.

I have an issue with a field with the value IT  (IT like Information Technology) when i try to search for that issue with that value it returns nothing.

project = hr and type = Training and "Training Name" ~ IT

I've tried with IT and "IT" and both returns empty result set.

When changing the value to something else, then it works properly.

At first i thought it was because it was a string too small for the ~ to work properly, but i've changed IT to UE and it works properly.

I don't see IT as a reserved words in JIRA documentation, so i'm wondering if it could be an issue in our specific instance or is it something some of you have seen?

Thanks,

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Claudiu Lionte
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 7, 2019

Hi David,

According to the documentation article below, the word "IT" is a reserved word:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/search-syntax-for-text-fields-764478343.html

This is the reason why the search fails.

Claudiu

David Laperle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2019

It seems the page i had was obsolete or simply worng, but thanks for that!

Suggest an answer