Retrospective board

Jason Chayer March 4, 2024

Has anyone set up a retrospective board in Jira without a plugin?

We are moving to cloud soon, but am wanting to get this set up in our current Jira instance.

Curious on how you structured this?

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2024

Hi @Jason Chayer 

I recommend not using Jira to create a retrospective "board".  It will likely become too limiting as the team both evolves its retrospective methods and encounters situations which just do not "fit" your board constraints.  (e.g., a just-in-time RCA versus a retro at the end of a sprint)

Instead, consider how your team works today to decide what might support them:

• Working in person / on-site: try a whiteboard, sticky notes, and conversation
  • Working remotely: investigate any of the many free (or for purchase) whiteboarding / collaboration tools

And when the team feels a need to track work for retrospective findings / experiments, use Jira issues on your current delivery board to support that.

Kind regards,
Bill

@Bill Sheboy - I do like the idea of not having it in Jira. However, what is enticing, is that I can create Jira issues off of the retrospective meetings and link it back to the retrospective task if need be. 

If this is done, I can then add it to a future retro meeting for follow up and have that information linked there.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2024

Yes, and...several of the whiteboarding tools have integration for Jira, to create items from the board, link them, etc.  For example, Miro boards can do this, and they are very helpful for retros, story mapping, RCAs, etc.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Atlassian, Miro, or any addon vendor.  I'm just another customer making a suggestion based on my experiences :^)

@Bill Sheboy - I appreciate that. I will take a look at Miro or other white boarding tools.

Thanks for the suggestion.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nikola Perisic
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 4, 2024

Hello @Jason Chayer 

Scrum template wouldn't really be suitable since it is focused on starting and ending the sprints.

I would go with a Kanban board where you can create columns like: What went good, What went wrong, What we can improve, Questions. For each of these columns there would be statuses that would be called similar to the columns (no transitions added).

For Action items, I would link Confluence to that specific project, where I can reference it on the next retrospective

For the next retrospective, I would create a new board where I would reference everything from the previous retrospective and also add new things to the new retrospective.

@Nikola Perisic - thanks for the feedback. So, I assume I should create a new project for this? The reason I ask is because of the status types, no transitions, etc...

Nikola Perisic
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 4, 2024

@Jason Chayer Well, not necesserarly. You can create a new Kanban board within your project, you just select the Create board -> Kanban Board -> Choose your existing project

@Nikola Perisic - that I understand. But, and I may be thinking about this incorrectly, won't the board take on whatever statuses the project already contains?

I do not want to add additional statuses to the existing project. I would think that would just muddy up the project.

Nikola Perisic
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 4, 2024

@Jason Chayer  Yes, you are right, it would get muddy indeed. The best option is to go for a separate project and to create the retrospectives there.

Thanks @Nikola Perisic . It seems like I ran across others who have mentioned that you can have more than one workflow in a project. If so, can you have statuses that only show up on one board, and not the other.

Example

Board One (development board): To do, in development, testing, etc...

Board Two (retrospective board): What went well, What to improve, Questions, etc...

If I add the statuses for Board Two, will they show up as options for Board One when someone is trying to move issues across their board.

Regarding issue type, I would just use Task as the only option for Board Two.

Suggest an answer