Restrict project templates when creating a Jira project

Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2015

When creating a JIRA Project, is is there any way to limit the template options to only one (JIRA Default)?

4 answers

2 votes
Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2015

I will NEVER EVER turn off the Project Templates Plugin system add-on ever again. I disabled it and then upon refreshing the page immediately noticed how every project, every dashboard gadget, every issue was now a dead link, and re-enabling the plugin and then re-building the index didn't help. Please oh please tell me my automatic system/db backups last night worked

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2015

Maybe just disabling specific templates is ok?

1 vote
petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2015

To remove the "Basic Software Development", you need to disable the module directly in the database (I couldn't find it listed in JIRA add-ons) by running the following SQL query:

insert into pluginstate values ('com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira:basic-software-development-template', 'false');

After that, restart your JIRA and it should disappear from the Project Templates.

Cheers,
Andre 

1 vote
Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2015

In JIRA v7.0, go to JIRA Administration > Add-ons > Manage Add-ons > change filter to System and then find "JIRA Core Project Templates Plugin".  Expand that list of modules and you'll find a lot of the project templates to disable.  There's still one or two though I haven't found out how to disable yet like the Default one and the XRAY add-on one. 

I do this because our process is to create one project from default, configure all of it's schemes, types, etc and then use JIRA 7's new Create with Shared Configuration project option to clone it; in essence giving me my own template to work with.

Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2015

I am in your same situation. I ended up resorting to JS to remove all unwanted options, since there were 1-2 more templates even after disabling Project Templates Plugin

Sergio Freire - Xblend
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2017

Hi @Geoff Wilson,

Concerning Xray, ee're not sure if it the project template can be programatically managed. 

However, I have created the user story for it: http://jira.xpand-addons.com/browse/XRAY-1347. Please vote on it and we'll see if othes also are interested on this feature.

Regards,

Sergio

1 vote
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2015

If your goal is to disable them system wide, then you can disable them by turning off the appropriate modules in the Project Templates Plugin system add-on.

Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 27, 2015

That plus JIRA Agile Marketing Plugin worked OK.

Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2015

You should raise a ticket to support. Maybe Jira 7.0 introduced some sort of dependency. I am in JIRA 6.4

Suggest an answer