Restrict Browse Projects to anyone except user of a specific group

Oliver Eckle June 9, 2021

Hi,

i have a situation like that:

We use JIRA Software company internal with a very open and transparent environment.

Therefore i applied for the most projects the "Browse Project" also for "anyone in the web".

Due to the fact, that jira is running within the corporate network that should be fine.

Now we also got some external companies working on specific projects.

What is the best way to limit their access only on projects they are added but keep it open for all the other user.

I think i must get rid of the "anyone in the web" but i have no idea how to achieve something like "anyone except..."

Regards

Oliver

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2021

Jira does not do "restrictions", it is permissive.  If you want someone to see or do something, you explicitly give them the right to do it.  If you want to prevent them seeing or doing something, then you do not give them the right to do it.

What you need to do is remove "browse project" for "anyone on the web", then re-add your internal users via a different rule like "browse project = user in role developer" (the add them to the project developers role as individuals or via some groups)

Then you can add your external users to the projects they need to see, without them getting access to otheres.

Oliver Eckle June 9, 2021

thank you for the answer, that is exaclty what i try to avoid :D

cause therefore i eighter have to add the user to all projects which is quite some kind of labor intense ;-) 

or i must create a group and add them there, which results also in a very labor intense job, cause there is no bulk add afaik

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events