Resource Workload

Akshay Kalra March 8, 2021

Guys, 
Is there a way we can track what all activities are aligned for day. Basically want to track the resources allocation. Is any resource overburden with the bandwidth or he can more task for the day. Want to review the reports on Daily, Weekly and Monthly. 

Want to track where user is spending 8 hrs in day 

4 answers

4 votes
Nataliya Vasyliv_Reliex_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 20, 2021

Hi @Akshay Kalra 

If you are still looking for a solution I can provide a some solution for you. Jira Software does not provide such feature. In ActivityTimeline we created a features that helps track everyday activities. 

To track the resources allocation possible by several parameters:

- by Workload (based on remaining time estimates of tasks)
- by Worklogs (based on tasks remaining estimates in the future and logged hours in the past)
- by Number of Issues (based on number of scheduled issues / per day)
- by Availability (based on capacity and remaining estimates of scheduled tasks)

You can easily check the workload on display:

2021-10-21_01h39_33.png

ActivityTimeline app has a possibility to generate numerous of reports to track Daily, Weekly and Monthly activity.

1 vote
Adam _SoftwarePlant_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 13, 2021

Hi @Akshay Kalra 

For the individual resource/team capacity tracking, I believe that you may want to look at some apps from the Atlassian Marketplace, such as BigPicture from SoftwarePlant (the company I am a part of) so that you can manage this aspect better. Please kindly take a look at the pages from our documentation related to resource management in the tool itself:

- Resources

In case you find the setup of the tool difficult at any point, our consultants will be more than happy to help you configure it according to your needs.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Adam

0 votes
Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2021

Jira Software does not have Resource Management in that sense.

It is for many reasons, and one is of course that it is popular to use arbitrary values for estimations in Agile in the form of Story points. That makes any form of individual, or team based, resource management impossible.

Of the many tools for tracking time, there is one fundamental flaw in using it in Jira and that is that Jira Software is a task management tool, not an HR or time management tool.

Of the hundreds of teams I have coached and worked with, only one had 100% coverage of their time in Jira. This was per the client's request, and it was a mess, with people spending more time micromanage their time than actually building anything.

Remember, your tasks in Jira only make up for roughly half of your time. This is because you will have things that are not included in the tasks. Things like meetings, stands ups, retrospectives, code reviews, bathroom breaks and much, much more is counted towards a teams efficiency and is usually not included in the estimates.

You also don't have things like distractions as in a busy office space or when people split their work between 2 or more projects.

So you will never get a full picture in Jira unless you spend a lot of time in there and make issues for every small thing that our team members do.

0 votes
Maria
Marketplace Partner
October 4, 2021

Hi @Akshay Kalra,
Not sure if your question is still relevant but in case it is:
I'd recommend making use of roadmaps. Jira has a default Roadmap view. Here you can read more about it.

Otherwise, you may give a try to Jira addon - Planyway (on behalf of the Planyway team). It'll allow you to visualize issues on the timeline grouped by team members, so you can track the allocation easily. Also, the app has the feature of the workload that helps to balance the number of tasks per member based on their daily capacity. 

Resource Planning.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events