Resolved items reduce issue burndown, but when Closed the issue burndown rises

Tim Palmer July 12, 2012

When I mark an issue as RESOLVED (using either the Greenhopper task board or JIRA) then my issue burndown reduces by 1. This is what I expect.

However, when I then mark the same resolved issue as CLOSED, the issue burndown returns to original level. It is as if I have REOPENED the issue.

If I RESOLVE the issue again, the issue count goes down but again on CLOSE the count returns to original value.

My only solution is to leave all issues RESOLVED and never mark them as CLOSED.

Can anyone shed any light?

2 answers

1 vote
J March 7, 2016

The burn down relies on the CATEGORY of a status.

Each status belongs to one of three categories: New, In Progress or Complete. 

Note that these category are visualised by the colour of the status text (Blue, Yellow, Green respectively) 

I imagine your Closed status is put in category New or In Progress instead of Complete. (check if the closed status appears in blue or yellow on your JIRA issues)

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2012

The count in the chart is based on the resolution field. See if the resolution is cleared when the issue is moved from "Resolved" to "Closed".

Might be in the workflow post functions or you are clearing it on screen.

Tim Palmer July 12, 2012

Thanks for your post Jobin. I checked my issues (and just double checked now looking at the issue history) and they all have a resolution of "Fixed" or "Won't Fix". I have only 4 issues OPEN and 15 issues CLOSED.

I am wondering if there is a way of making the CLOSED Status have another meaning?

We are running our own custom workflow, but it's based on the default JIRA workflow and always prompts for a resolution on RESOLVED or CLOSED.

Any help very much appreciated.

Suggest an answer