Resolution Field

Bunty April 4, 2019

Hi Everyone,
The JIRA Resolution field seems key to many of the built-in reports that JIRA offers. For instance some versions of the burn down reports use this field to determine if something is "Done."I understand that it is controlled by a post function in the workflow but my question is why is this post function not a default action for "Done" state? I have customized our workflow before and it seems that every time I try to add a new transition to Done state it loses the action that sets the Resolution field and this must be manually added.Is there some high level admin default that we need to fix so Resolution is generally set correct (e.g. Done state = "Resolved" and Rejected state = "Will not do") anytime a new transition is added to a Done state?
Thanks in Advance.
Bunty

1 answer

0 votes
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2019

There is not and is one of the areas of workflow administration that is way more complicated than it needs to be.  I think Atlassian also recognizes this because they changed up how resolution setting and clearing is handled on the next gen projects.

General rule i follow for resolution management:

1. All terminal states have a post function that auto sets the resolution to 'Done'

2. For rejected type terminal states, a screen is included in the transition for a user to set the rejected reason

3. For all transitions out of a terminal state, a post function is added to clear the resolution field (this one can be a bit of a pain to manage).

Suggest an answer