Read-only JIRA user cannot log in.

Systems Solution Lab June 30, 2015

We are running JIRA 6.3.7 and authenticate to our LDAP directory.  I would like to create a read-only group for JIRA users.  I created a group in Active Directory called "jira-viewers" and added the AD account to that group.  Within JIRA, I added the jira-viewers group to the jira-users permission.  I also gave the jira-viewers group the ability to browse projects in our two permission schemes.  However, the AD account, which is a member of the jira-viewers group cannot log in.  It just says "username and password are incorrect".  If a move that AD account to the jira-users AD group, it can log in successfully.  Can someone explain why that account can't log in when it's a member of our jira-viewers group?

Thank you,

3 answers

0 votes
Systems Solution Lab July 13, 2015

Do you have any other ideas as to why "juser" can't login?

0 votes
Systems Solution Lab June 30, 2015

Yes it is the Global Permission "JIRA Users" that the "jira-viewers" group was given.  This is what I see in the logs:

atlassian-jira-security.log.1:2015-06-29 09:23:24,212 http-bio-8080-exec-22 anonymous 563x14208x1 qn7nqa 10.42.18.104,127.0.0.1 /rest/gadget/1.0/login login : 'juser' tried to login but they do not have USE permission or weren't found. Deleting remember me cookie.

atlassian-jira-security.log.1:2015-06-29 09:23:24,224 http-bio-8080-exec-22 anonymous 563x14208x1 qn7nqa 10.42.18.104,127.0.0.1 /rest/gadget/1.0/login The user 'juser' has FAILED authentication.  Failure count equals 2

In User Management, "juser" is clearly in the jira-viewers group.  It's like the system is ignoring the Global Permission "JIRA Users" for members of the jira-viewers group.

0 votes
petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2015

Hi Don,

Just to be sure, when you say I added the jira-viewers group to the jira-users permission, you are mentioning the "JIRA Users" Global Permission, correct?

If so, can you check in your $JIRA_HOME/log/atlassian-jira.log (and in the atlassian-jira-security.log in the same folder, if you have it) if is there any error messages when trying to log in?

Cheers,
Andre 

Suggest an answer