Permission Scheme - Create Project But Not Administer JIRA

Shelli August 19, 2013

I would like to create a permission scheme that allows users to create projects (as well as administer them) but not be able to do administer JIRA (e.g. plugins, system, users) but I can't figure out how to set this up. I created a scheme called "Project Administrator" that granted all the available permissions to it, but users with that scheme cannot create a project.

Is there a way to grant this permission but not allow them to administer any of the other JIRA settings?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2013

Nope, the permissions are not that granular. There are four levels - System, Application, (huge gap), project admin, normal user.

To create a project, you must be system or application level, and that gives you the rights to plugins, fields, schemes and the rest.

See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-3156 to see the work being done on this.

Shelli August 20, 2013

Thanks for the confirmation and the link.

1 vote
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2013

Like Nic said - stock JIRA is not able to do this - however https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.wittified.jira.project-creator will allow you to delegate the creation permissions to non-admins. (Note: I am one of the developers behind it).

0 votes
Michael Durbin June 8, 2018

Bummer... The term Project is bit misleading.  You would think that by naming them "projects" that the ability to delegate project creation versus the ability for that person to make larger reaching decisions for an org would have been considered.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2018

Projects are made up of all the other components; issues, workflows, permission  scheme, screens, etc. that need to be created by admins. Many times the components don't exist to create the desired project. 

Michael Durbin June 8, 2018

Joe, thanks for the additional information.

0 votes
Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2017

Only Jira(system) Administrators can create projects then they configure a project lead and admin(s) to add users/groups to project roles as well as create boards.  These are the permissions out of box. There may be an addon  but I don't know of any.

Suggest an answer