Org Admin vs Site Admin

Angel Osberg July 21, 2021

Is there any documentation that lists in detail what an org admin has the ability to do compared to site admin abilities? 

Thank you! 

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2021

Here is an article that might help - how-do-jira-permissions-work 

in cloud you have Jira admin and project admin. Then there is the Technical contact that is defined with Atlassian as well as a billing contact but these are separate from admin permissions.

Org and site admin terms are often thrown around, Including myself I’m afraid. 

0 votes
Gloria Ojukwu
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2021

Hi @Angel Osberg , the key difference between the Organization admin and the site admin is that the Org. admin can manage the whole setting in the organization which includes all the site admin priveledges and beyond. While the site admin is not able to access other sites related to the whole organization. 

You can take a look at this documentation; https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/give-users-admin-permissions/

for more insights. 

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Krista Stellar November 16, 2022

We have found this is no longer true with the new user management experience. The new approach has dropped the Site Admin role and members of the site-admin group are actually Org Admins now.

It's actually quite maddening and if you know of a way around this please reply!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer