One Board, Multiple Projects and Swimlanes by Epic

Ignacio Prati March 13, 2018

My JQL Filter for the Board:
Project = XX or issuetype = YY ORDER BY Rank ASC

If I configure the Board to Base Swimlanes on Epics, then it will show only the Issues that belong to Project XX or that do not have Epics. All the issues that have IssueType = YY that have an  Epic, will not be displayed.

If I configure the Board to Based Swimlanes on No  Swimlanes, then all the issues are displayed as in the filter.

Is there anything that I am doing wrong? Are there any restrictions for boards on Epics and Multiple projects that I am not aware of?

6 answers

2 votes
George Shaw November 19, 2020

I ran into this too. My solution was to edit the filter as follows:

Project = XX or (issuetype IN YY, Epic) ORDER BY Rank ASC

When using Epics for Swimlanes, it is necessary for the Epic to be included in the filter for issues in that Epic to show. No Swimlane is shown for Epics that do not contain issues in project XX or issue type YY.

Dávid Péter Jánosa November 20, 2020

I can't upvote this enough times.

Anatoly Ovsyannikov January 27, 2021

God bless you, George

1 vote
knguyen@slack-corp.com February 25, 2020

I believe I am having same issue.  This is the scenario:

Epic X is created in project A 

Task B is created in project B and is assigned to Epic X

Inside project B I group by epic.

Epics from project B show up, but tickets from Epic X are completely filtered out.  They are just gone.  They are not a part of any of the epics in project B and they do not fall into "issues without epics".

Daniel Urban June 19, 2020

Hi, I'm also struggling with same issue.

0 votes
Stephanie Minns October 12, 2018

Just noticed my Epics are also missing from the backlog... in the attached screenshot you can see each Epic Link on the tasks, but the list of Epics which should be populated in the left column just says "All Issues".Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 11.28.23 AM.png

0 votes
Stephanie Minns October 3, 2018

I am having the same issue. I've attached screenshots of each of my screensScreen Shot 2018-10-03 at 12.35.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-03 at 12.35.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-03 at 12.35.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-03 at 12.36.07 PM.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2018

@Stephanie Minns, can you articulate what you mean by the "same problem". I just want to be sure I know what your issue is here. If it is that you see different issues between the Kanban and the filter list please not the sub-filter in your board settings, i.e. 

sub-filter.jpg

Thanks for the reply @Jack Brickey. I am viewing a Kanban board that I created and set the swimlanes to be based on epics. As you can see in the first screenshot, there are only a select few tasks... but in the last screenshot the number of issues that actually should be displaying is very different, there are many more. Why aren't all of these issues showing on the board?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2018

There are two things here.

First you say you want to set swimlanes to epics but currently your board does not appear to be setup that way? Go to Board settings > Swimlanes and choose Epics.

Second, regarding few issues being displayed, it is because some issues are being filtered out by the sub-filter. Per the sub-filter, any "Done" issue that was last updated more than 7 days ago will not show. If that doesn't in-and-of-itself account for the delta check your quick filters.

Swimlanes are set to epics, and even if i remove the subfilter, it still doesn't show anything different other than older done tasks.Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 3.23.46 PM.pngI really appreciate the help!

Richard Neuhaus October 3, 2018

I think that sub-rask doesn’t show up on the board if the swimlanes are based on epics, because sub-task isn’t linked to epics.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2018

Epics - I assume you have epics for the projects. So I must assume that something in your Kanban is filtering out issues, e.g. quickfilters. did you inspect them? you might consider creating a new kanban board starting from scratch just as a test

Here is the same board with swimlanes by project instead of epics. you can see that the epics are there. No quick filters are being applied, either. I'll start from scratch I guess and see what happens.

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 4.04.46 PM.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2018

so where are the epics? i see tasks and one sub-task only.

Regardless I think we are getting off track. Q: if you change to "no swimlanes" do you see all of your issues? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2018

@Richard Neuhaus, sub-tasks will show on board by epics as below.

sub-task-kanban-epic.jpg

@Jack BrickeyYou can see my epics as "Kentico General", "URM Mobile App", etc. That screenshot is showing what the board looks like when the swimlanes are divided by PROJECT.

So, correct. If I choose to divide swimlanes out by anything other than Epics, I see all tasks.

Karen July 3, 2020

I'm faced with the exact issue! Wonder if you ever figured out how to resolve this? @Stephanie Minns 

Karen July 23, 2020

This looks like it has been fixed in 8.9.1. Woohoo!

0 votes
Richard Neuhaus March 14, 2018

Hi, I think you need to specify all the projects you want to see on the board if swimlanes is based on Epics.

If you only want to see some issuetypes for some projects the filter could be something like this Project = XX OR Project IN (ZZ, ...) AND issuetype = YY

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 14, 2018

@Richard Neuhaus, i wouldn't think that would be the case but can't hurt trying. @Ignacio Prati, if you do try you need to add parentheses around the second project statement.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2018

i would expect to see a swimlane per Epic defined in XX (if any) and any other project that has an issuetype of YY associated to an Epic. Then at the bottom under Everything Else would be all issues that don't belong to an Epic. can you provide a screen shot and more details about the Epics you have and would expect to see?

Suggest an answer