Not all epic links showing in dropdown list, anyone else have this issue?

Anna_Oei September 28, 2018

Not all my epics are showing in the dropdown list. I confirmed the epic I am looking for is Open. I compared it to those that are showing and nothing seems different.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, any advice on how to get them all to populate the list?

5 answers

0 votes
milind.khanzode July 11, 2022

Usually the searched Epic, if exists, will be shown as a popup. But strangely, I observed that though the Epic did not show as popup, the Epic was listed down in the list. 

0 votes
Leo Richard Petersen March 25, 2021

Starting to type the epic name will not work in all cases, the problem persists in some cases. I start typing, in order to narrow down the result set. The dropdown then displays "Showing 5 of 6 matching epics".

To complicate matters further, if I check the "show done epics" checkbox, a) the dropdown displays "Showing 6 of 7 matching epics", and b) the list includes one additional epic (the one I was actually looking for), showing as "done", even though the status is actually "Ready".

(Not the newest Jira version here, I'm afraid, v8.11.0)

0 votes
Chris Baker June 24, 2020

If you go to the epic link, just start typing name of epic you are trying to link.  Epic will then show in the list.. Some reason they don't show until you start typing the name. :-)

0 votes
JERRY BARESIC April 24, 2020

I am having the same issue.  We have over 40 epics to choose from to assign Jirra story/bug etc... tickets to.  I know the problem but not the solution.

The problem is when I create story ticket the EPIC field provides a drop down list of existing epics options but it is not an exhaustive list of all of the EPICs I have created.....

The drop down list for the EPIC field is only limited to showing you the first 20 EPICs that are listed on the Backlog page where your EPICs are listed.  Im positive of this as I have done tests to prove my theory is correct.

So the question now is: IS there a way to expand the drop down list to allow for more than 20 EPICS to be listed in the dropdown list?    

pgiordano May 15, 2020

Same issue.  Epic absolutely will not appear in the dropdown when other do.  I don't see any solutions posted anywhere???

Like Chris Baker likes this
Chris Baker June 24, 2020

Just start typing epic name in drop down box and it will appear.

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2018

Hi @Anna_Oei,

Have you checked the filter configuration of the Board, is some JQL statements excluding this part of Epic?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/configuring-a-board-764477974.html

Anna Oei October 2, 2018

@Ollie Guan,

I didn't and will. But I doubt that it would make a difference. 

I should've been more clear. When I create a new JIRA ticket, I attempt to add an Epic Link. Most epics show in the epic but there are a few that won't show in the dropdown list. When comparing an epic that shows versus doesn't show, there are no visible differences in the two JIRA tickets.

Steve Burns October 2, 2019

I am having the same issue. I try to create a technical story and when I choose the epic to link to the drop down list shows most of the epics but not all.

Like # people like this
milind.khanzode March 9, 2022

Is there a resolution for this issue?

Like # people like this
Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2022

I have same problem...

Like Arthur Khayat likes this
Kim Gallagher January 9, 2023

I'm having the same problem as the original post.  Has there been a resolution for this issue?

Like James Hallam likes this
Arthur Khayat May 11, 2023

Hi there. New here as well.

We just migrated to Jira cloud and are seeing the same issue.

When we drop down the epic field to select one for the story not all epics show.

Has there been any solutions for this yet?

CC: @Ollie Guan 

Like James Hallam likes this
James Hallam August 27, 2023

This has started happing for me since the latest update to Epics (consolidation of the name/summary fields in company-managed projects). Epics created since then do not show up in the Epic link field on tickets and I can't link to them.

Suggest an answer