Next-gen project shows the Parent Link as blank

Terry McCarthy November 5, 2019

I have a nex-gen project with stories that have parents (epics). I am unable to see parents, epics, or linked issue. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 12.09.27 pm.png:Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 12.10.52 pm.png

Dumping the full issue shows that the parent is populated

{'_resource''issue/{0}''_options': {'server''https://xxx', 'auth_url': '/rest/auth/1/session', 'context_path': '/', 'rest_path': 'api', 'rest_api_version': '2', 'agile_rest_path': 'greenhopper', 'agile_rest_api_version': '1.0', 'verify': True, 'resilient': True, 'async': False, 'async_workers': 5, 'client_cert': None, 'check_update': False, 'headers': {'Cache-Control': 'no-cache', 'Content-Type': 'application/json', 'X-Atlassian-Token': 'no-check'}}, '_session': <jira.resilientsession.ResilientSession object at 0x7fc27dd1b8d0>, '_base_url': '{server}/rest/{rest_path}/{rest_api_version}/{path}', 'raw': {'expand': 'renderedFields,names,schema,operations,editmeta,changelog,versionedRepresentations', 'id': '74865', 'self': 'https://xxx/rest/api/2/issue/74865', 'key': 'STS-118', 'fields': {'statuscategorychangedate': '2019-02-12T11:36:51.519+1100', 'parent': {'id': '80675', 'key': 'STS-1', 'self': 'xxx', 

1 answer

0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 15, 2019

Hello @Terry McCarthy ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I believe this behavior is explained in the status update of:

• [JSWCLOUD-17221] Epic link gets removed when moving an epic from a "classic" project to a "next-gen" project

Epics behave slightly differently in next-gen projects and this is one example of that. We are formalizing an issue hierarchy in next-gen projects (where we will have parent/child relationships) rather than using epic links. This will facilitate some cool stuff int he future around reporting and roll up estimation. Unfortunately in the short term, it means when you move issues to next-gen projects you will need to manually assign these issues to the relevant epic.

It's important to note the epic link has not actually been removed in the background- it's just not visible and is not useful within the context of the next-gen project. If you were to move your issues back to a classic project, for example, you would not lose this linkage. Although the 'Epic Name' and 'Epic Colour' custom fields would be lost.

In the future, as we build out the next-gen projects, we will provide an automated mechanism to create the new parent/child relationship based on the epic link but it just isn't something we have got to yet. We apologize we didn't make this clear earlier. We have updated our docs in an attempt to clarify how epics behave when migrating projects. You can review the docs from this page.

Also, I can see that we have the below feature requests open in our system that are related to this topic:

Please review above tickets and let me know if this helps. 

Also, you may want to vote and watch the above feature requests so that you will get notified in case of any update. They will be addressed according to the Implementation of New Features Policy.

Cheers,
Dario

Suggest an answer