My JIRA (data center) logs lot of "The encoding [binary] is not recognised by the JRE"

GINIBRE Sylvain April 17, 2024

My Jira instance behind a reverse proxy (HAPRoxy) was running like a charm until we made the last upgrade to 9.12.5.

Now there are lot of WARNING like :
org.apache.catalina.connector.Response.setContentType The encoding [binary] is not recognised by the JRE

Did not find any information about that warning ...

1 answer

0 votes
Harald Seyr
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2024

Hi @GINIBRE Sylvain 

This seems to be a known bug, see [JRASERVER-71265] "The encoding [binary] is not recognised by the JRE" keeps getting logged in Tomcat log - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.

Apparently, this is a known issue that is yet unresolved. The recommended workaround to simply disable all warnings in logs by setting log level to error seems pretty drastic to me.

Maybe you add a note to the issue increasing the chance that someone at Atlassian picks it up.

Also, a note in Solved: JIRA is running in Windows server and is giving me... (atlassian.com) seems to indicate that this warning can be caused by using a JRE not supported by JIRA, so maybe changing your JRE will solve this.

Regards,

Harald

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events