Multiple estimates for a single issue without subtasks

Keith Yap May 28, 2017

I'm looking for the best way to have two estimates for a single issue.

This has come about as a result of our current set-up encompassing two teams. The first [Design] team usually creates and initiates the cards, and then passes the cards onto the [Ops] team to implement. Cards all share one workflow.

Each team holds separate triage and sprint planning sessions, and so it is necessary for each team to have accurate time estimates when looking at our Agile planning board. Unfortunately, what may be 2 points for the Design team could be 5 points for the Ops team, and so on.

So far the only 'workarounds' I can think of are:

1. One team to use 'estimate' and one team to use 'time tracking', and then setting up and maintaining two separate agile boards with each board displaying one method of estimate or time tracking.

2. Creating sub-tasks for each issue and having each team estimate the time needed in their respective subtasks. However, this is just an extra step for team members to remember to do.

If there are any other suggestions I would love to hear them. Also open to suggestions on how to better utilise JIRA, perhaps our current setup with single issues and a single workflow is not optimal.

1 answer

0 votes
Kim Poulsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2017

Hi Keith

Suggested Option 1)

You could consider adding custom fields to those screens, and use tabs to keep the fields apart.

If you only need SP, then you can just add a number field, and call it "Ops SP estimate" or something that makes sense.

Time tracking using "original estimate" etc. cannot be done, at least not in the vanilla JIRA tool.

What you will not get is sums of SP on boards and all that. It is all built-in and uses specific fields for this.

If you use the Structure plugin (ALM works) you can sum on any field.

Suggested Option 2)

Don't use the same issues between teams. Clone it once it reaches the end of team 1, and move on from there.

If you have ScriptRunner (and you should, really...) you can automate this using scripted post functions.

Regards,
 Kim

Suggest an answer