Moving Jira to shared Tomcat instance

Alvaro Aguayo October 28, 2020

Hi. We currently have a server with Jira Software 8.13.0, Confluence 7.8.0, and a generic Tomcat 9.0.33 installation with OpenJDK 11.0.8. Currently, both Jira Software & Confluence are running each on its own Tomcat instance, and everything is behind an nginx proxy which also proxies applications in other servers.

This of course works fine, but consumes quite some memory. So I was wondering if it could be possible to move both Jira Software & Confluence to run everything inside a single Tomcat instance. For what I see, Java & Tomcat versions are almost the same, but both Jira & Confluence deployments on Tomcat are quite different from what I'm used to see.

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2020

No, you can't do this. 

Physically doing it is a pain, as you'd have to extract the installation of one of them from its bundled Tomcat and rebuild it in the target one.

Then you would need to rewrite it to cope with all the clashes of libraries ad shared usage of Tomcat functions.

Even when Atlassian did have a distribution you could load into any web application server you wanted, they explicitly stated "you must never run Jira and Confluence in the same container"

0 votes
Stefan Ernst [Realigned.io]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 29, 2020

Suggest an answer