Moving JIRA Interal DB to Postgres DB

BM November 23, 2018

Hi All,

We are at JIRA 7.11.1 and with internal DB. But the internal DB is only for evaluation purpose, i am planning to move this content to Postgres DB.

Followed below link and started moving

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver072/switching-databases-828787577.html

1st Attempt:

We do have custom fields and in the jira description few tickets got huge info and it failed saying Description varchar(255) is too small and XML import failed. And it resulted 500 error and i was not able to access JIRA installation

2nd Attempt:

Re-installed jira in another mount point with new port 8081 and after DB setup i altered the size of Description varchar(255) to text in Postgres DB

This time i was planning to import Project wise. But it is asking similar settings of target JIRA in the current version. Each setting. Which is becoming tedious process.

As per 1st attempt if i re-import complete XML backup again i am not sure this time again i will end up with re-installation

Please suggest me are there any good tools i can use to import the content from Internal DB to Postgres

Thanks

Bharathi

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 26, 2018

The first method is the correct method to move your data.  You should not be getting that particular error though.   Could you post more of the specific stacktrace of that error here so we can better understand your specific error?

In my Jira 7.12 instance using Postgres 9.4, the customfield table has a column called descriptions, which is actually a text field and not a varchar 255 field.   So I am also concerned as to why you might have to change that in your environment.  It makes me worried that perhaps you're using a different database type/database driver during the setup of Jira that might not be creating the tables with the expected field types/sizes to cause this problem.   When Jira first connects to the empty database, it should be creating the tables/fields with this correct type.  If you're environment is not doing this, I'd like to know more about your environment to figure out why that is.

Can you let us know what specific database type/version you are trying to move to in Jira?

I would also be interested to see what your $JIRAHOME/log/atlassian-jira.log file looks like from the time you start up jira connecting to this new database through the attempted XML import of your backup.    While our community site cannot currently host attachments, you could upload this to a service like google drive or dropbox and post the link to that download here for us to take a closer look.

Suggest an answer