Migrating data from account to new jira account

Abdel_Aziz_Addas October 7, 2018

Hi guys i am new to Jira and trying to migrate data from a current jira account to new one, but whenever i export the data and then import it the information is mixed and not shown properly.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 8, 2018

Not sure I understand the problem here.  Could you please try to answer these questions to help us better understand the issue here?

1. What versions are each Jira using (source and destination)?
  2. What export/import methods are being used (project xml backup, CSV, other)?
  3. How exactly does the data look to be mixed up?   An example would be helpful here to better understand the scope of the problem.

Thanks

Andy

Abdel_Aziz_Addas October 9, 2018

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your response, and please excuse my ignorance.

1. The destination Jira is the latest version 7.12.2 (cloud hosting), the source version is 7.7.0
  2. CVS.
  3. I managed to get most of the things right but there are 3 things that i are still not migrating properly:
    1. All reporter names are assigned to my name, and the reason being mentioned is that the other emails cannot be found. Which is true since we will be having a completely new team.
    2. The comments are on each issue are not being transferred.
    3. The attachments as well.

Thanks,

Aziz

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2018

Ok, thanks for that info.

For the problem of the reporters always being listed as your account, there have been changes made to the accounts in Jira Cloud a few months back.  In doing so, you can't create new user accounts this way on Cloud.  One way around this would be to have your users create their accounts in the system first, at least for those users that are expected to be the reporter of these issues.  Alternatively, you can change the reporter after the fact.  So it might not be so critical to get that detail exactly right immediately.    You can update these values after the fact using the same CSV import function provided that the issue key is identical and the user's email address remains the same.

For importing comments and attachments, I would recommend closely following the guide in Importing data from CSV.   It does have more information in regards to importing comments.   I would first check to see your CSV file has these comments in the format of 'dd/MMM/yy hh:mm a;username;body of comment' for the Comment field.  I believe that Jira 7.7 should be able to create this format natively when using the CSV export option in that version.   What will have to happen though is that for each comment, the CSV file should have an additional comment column.  This way when the file has multiple comments with the same name, you can use this to map multiple values to the same issue (ie import each comment for each issue).  Older versions of Jira did not map these comments when you did an export all fields.  However I believe that 7.7 should being doing this by default.

Suggest an answer