Migrate users from Confluence to Jira

jost90 April 9, 2019

Some time ago I had to install Conflufluence. Now i have to add Jira server and connect the services. But there is a problem: how to migrate or copy users between those services?

I know there is possibility to share users database between Atlassian services from JIRA by Jira User Server. However I don't know any solution to migrate users from Confluence to Jira.

I would like to avoid re-registration or password change.

I'm using Jira and Confluence Server ;)

1 answer

0 votes
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2019

Hi @jost90 

You can use Jira as the user management for Confluence.

See the docs here.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/connecting-to-crowd-or-jira-for-user-management-229838465.html

The group naming standards are different between Jira and Confluence - Confluence doesn't allow whitespace in group names. Aligning group names has been the most work for me in existing instances.

jost90 April 9, 2019

Hi Tom,

Yes i know that i can use Jira as the user management for Confluence.

BUT I have 250 users in confluence already and i would like to migrate them somehow to Jira from Confluence.

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2019

Hi @jost90 

Are you able to access to Confluence database?

I use a solution that involves extracting the user data into excel, using that to generate a set of REST API calls to insert data into Jira.

jost90 April 9, 2019

Yes I have access to the database.
But is this solution allow to move passwords also?

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 9, 2019

Hi

I don't think there is a way to move the passwords, You should be able to create a user using the REST API with a default or generated password and ask the users to change on first login.

Suggest an answer