• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

LinkedIssues using a filter or multiple values Edited

Hi All,

Here is what I am trying to do. I have Project 1 Epic A. The Epic is linked (relates to) Project 2 Epic B. What I want to do, though, is to create a query to view all issues under Epic B, based on Epic A (show me all user stories for any epic linked to Epic A).

I have a solution to get the results for this, which is the following:

issueLink in (linkedIssues(MET-2)) AND Type = Story ORDER BY "Epic Link"

However, I need multiple Epics (MET-2 and MET-3) so I came up with this:

issueLink in(linkedIssues(MET-2)) OR issueLink in(linkedissues(MET-3)) AND Type = Story ORDER BY "Epic Link"

This, though, will become unwieldy if I have many Epics to reference, so I'm trying to do something along the lines of

(linkedIssues(MET-2, MET3))

This, though, is not supported. I read in a few threads that I could use a filter, but this does not seem to work for me. Here is what I did regarding the filter, but it does not work:

issueLink in (linkedIssues('filter = "MetaScrum Epics"')) AND Type = Story ORDER BY "Epic Link"

I have tried every method of single and double quote combinations (including none and one at a time) that I can think of, but I only get this error each time:

Issue 'filter = "MetaScrum Epics"' could not be found in function 'linkedIssues'.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help!

PS. I cannot use a plugin for various reasons, and this is Jira Cloud.

PSS. Be sure to copy the above and put it into your JQL Notes in case you need it sometime :)

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Mar 18, 2021

Hi Michael,

I think I understand what you are trying to do here with JQL in Jira Cloud.  However the linkedIssue function in Jira is not able to accept a filter as part of the input to that function.  That function only accepts specific issue keys that you enter there.  We have an existing feature request over in JRACLOUD-21936 that I think best encompasses what you want to be able to do here.

I would recommend watching that issue and voting there.  There is no guarantee that Atlassian will implement this, but that issue can be helpful for our team to help understand new feature priorities.

As for the other threads you mentioned, I fear that perhaps you have stumbled upon some JQL functions provided by a 3rd party plugin to Jira.  For example, the Scriptrunner app (at least the server version, not sure about Cloud) offers a JQL function called linkedIssuesOf() which is very similar in nature to our linkedIssue function.  The major difference is that it does accept a subquery or filter when you use it.  I know you stated that you were not interested in a plugin solution here, but for your specific ask here, I do not believe Jira can do exactly what you want here as designed.

Sorry this is probably not the answer you had hoped for, but I hope it helps anyway.

Andy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

New Cloud Apps Roundup - Spring 2021

Atlassian's marketplace partners have had a very productive start to 2021! Since our last roundup, our developer community has added over 160 new cloud apps to the Atlassian Marketplace to help you...

129 views 3 15
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you