• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Link issue if the summary is the same with autmation for jira

Hey guys,

i want an automation which links 2 issues with the same summary.

For e.g. summary of ticket 1 is "new user *username*" and summary of ticket 2 is "new user *username*"

Anyone an idea how to do this?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hi @Tobias Jakob 

What is the problem you are trying to solve?  Why would there be multiple tickets/issues with the same summary?  Are they duplicates?

Let's say they aren't duplicates, and that both are needed... One way to solve this would be to create an automation rule:

• Trigger: summary field changes
  • Branch: JQL to find the issues which have matching summary; the key here is what does matching mean for your query
  • Action: for each, add the link

Best regards,

Bill

Hi @Bill Sheboy ,

thanks for your response.

Well let me describe why there will be (multiple tickets with same summary)

If a new customert starts working for us, he needs a new account, one department will create a ticket with the information of the new user and the other department will create a ticket with all accesses and software he needs (please don't ask why it is like this :-) )

Because of this I want to link each other or do you have another idea?

Do you understand what I mean?

Best Regards

Tobias

Thanks for explaining @Tobias Jakob That makes it clear to me.

With supporting a new customer, you could think of this as:

• One story (add customer) with multiple sub-tasks (create account, provide software access, etc.)
  • Multiple stories, as you are describing for each task

Regarding Links, you could instead use Labels or Components to associate the work items.  Any of these methods will allow you to see all the items for a customer, but Labels and Components will make it easier to perform reporting using filters.

Best regards,

Bill

Hi Bill,

For Branch: JQL, what query should I use for an exact summary match?

Thanks,

RP

Hi @Ryan  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

When you know the summary you are looking for, say TargetSummary, use something like: project = myProject AND summary = TargetSummary

The challenge here is your TargetSummary.  Is it a known value or perhaps constructed from other fields in an issue?  If not...

If you do not know the specific summary and are instead just trying to find items with *any* same Summary field, I do not believe that is possible with out-of-the-box Jira.   JQL isn't really a fully-featured, ISO-compliant SQL, so you cannot do things like nested (correlated) sub-queries.  If you have any of the query marketplace add-ons, perhaps you can do so.

Best regards,

Bill

Like Ryan likes this

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for your insight and assistance. After lots of troubleshooting (and delays due to a large volume of operational issues ;) ) I have shortened my search parameter to the single JQL query below.

description !~ "\"NON-PROD\"" AND description ~ "\"SIPTrunkOOS\"" AND description ~ "\"TimeStamp : ??? ??? ?? ??\""

We have Jira tickets created via emails from monitoring platforms. My goal is to find tickets without the "NON-PROD" String and with the "SIPTrunkOOS" String in the description. The Time Stamp is what is tripping me up. Typically these tickets end with a Time Stamp at the end of the report (ex: TimeStamp : Wed Nov 18 13:47:17 EST 2020).

My goal is to catch tickets created within the same hour via the JQL query (hence the "?" variables). My string above appears not to be working because it is looking for an actual "?" vs the JQL variable. Do you know the correct syntax I should use to achieve my goal?

Thank you for your time and assistance. I apologize for usurping this post, however, you are clearly very knowledgeable on this topic and I would be thrilled if you happen to have an answer for me.

Thanks again for your time and assistance,

RP

Hey Ryan,

What is the likelihood that a summary would contain the text "TimeStamp" and no actual value for timestamp?  If that is unlikely just look for "TimeStamp" and ignore the actual value.  You can always strip it out of the summary later (using split) and evaluate it with a condition in the rule.

__Bill

Hi Bill,

The TimeStamp string is always included with an actual value in the format stated above in the ticket description/email body. I can definitely look into using the split, however my goal is to match the value of the timestamp to ensure duplicates ticket aren't created for alerts in the past hour.

Please see a screenshot of my rule setup below. Sorry my text is so small and thanks again.

jira-duplicate-rule.PNG

Thanks for the rule image!

First thing, I find that rule's component order confusing.  I know the processing is asynchronous but that create should be earlier than the check on created issues, right?

Next, if a condition with JQL match is not working, consider instead using an advanced field condition, and search the summary field using Match() with a regular expression.  Your test would then be if there is a value, there is a match.  For example:

{{issue.summary.match(".*(SIPTrunkOOS).*")}}

Please look here for information on Match() the RegEx stuff you can try:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-text-fields/

Like Ryan likes this

Thanks so much Bill! Your guidance and assistance is much appreciated. Have a great weekend

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

📹 Favorite Trello templates

Hello Community!  My name is Brittany Joiner and I am a Trello enthusiast and Atlassian Community Leader. In this video, I'll share my favorite Trello templates. Templates mentioned in ...

75 views 4 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you