Link custom/existing fields from different projects for linked issues

Charles Canales July 7, 2021

We have two projects that we want to link some of the fields using automation rules.

One would be the status of the ticket (so when an issue changes status, the linked issue should change as well and vice versa). Just a bit of background, these statuses were created in the workflow and were named the same for both projects, but have not gotten it to work as intended when linked via the automation rule. The rule we used is when the field change, transition status to copy from trigger issue.

The other one is to link a custom field created in one project into an existing field with values from the other .The field is called Sprint and we want to link to a custom text field (also named Sprint) we created in the separate project. Not sure if there is a way to link and copy the text from an existing field to be entered into a custom field?

3 answers

1 vote
josephine July 7, 2021

Hi Charles,

I would look into using post functions in your workflow for these.

I'm not sure whether there are standard post-functions for these in cloud, but if there isn't you can look into an add-in like JSU, which has post-functions that would work for both the scenarios you've mentioned.

Hope that helps!

Josephine

Thanks josephine, I'll look into this and see if this will resolve my issue!

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2021

Hi Charles,

We do something very similar using Automation for Jira. Here is what a simplified version of the rules looks like:

screenshot1.png

Thanks John! We had the same concept! Although the problem with mine is that my custom short text field isn't getting the changes I make with the an existing issue field from the other project. 

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2021

From your error = it might be that you have a validator or a condition on the transition (or even a transition screen) that is keeping it from moving. 

If there are conditions, I suggest adding another condition that allows a Project Role to do the transition and then select the addons-atlassian one. 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2021

I think That you will need to consider automation for this.  The question I have particular for your second requirement is whether it involves a transition. If so then you can set up the automation rule based on the transition. You can easily transition any linked issues to the same status of the triggering issue and you could also copy the value from one field to another (with some restrictions). Give it a go and come back here if stuck.

I tried setting up with the rule trigger as a status transition but I get this error message. I'm not too sure if this is because of the status I created in the workflow that's causing this.Screenshot 1.png

Screenshot 4.PNG

Also, for the sprint field update, everything is working except that one. I believe I posted it before but the sprint field in one of the projects is a short text field we created hoping to match the one in the software project where it is an existing issue field.Screenshot 2.png

Also, would you be able to let me know the difference between these two fields?Screenshot 3.png

josephine July 8, 2021

@Jack Brickey out of interest, why would you suggest automation over post functions?

I prefer post-functions because I find them less finicky than automation rules, but I'm still pretty new to admining Jira, so I'm interested if there is an argument for using automation over post-functions, or if it's just a case of personal preference?

Thanks!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2021

Very good question @josephine and a fair one. TBH, I’m unsure if this can be achieved by PF or not. I would have to investigate.

I see that both post functions and automation have their place in the world. And generally if it is a very simple operation on a specific transition then I will use post functions. However, the one thing I do like about automations is the audit log and I can actually insert logging within the automation that will help me debug if something goes wrong. In this case specifically Charles indicated he was looking for automation and given the details my head simply gravitated to automation.

Like josephine likes this
josephine July 8, 2021

Great answer! Thanks @Jack Brickey 

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS