Jira mobile & Cloudflare Access

nealr April 2, 2020

Hello,

We are running Jira Software on one of our servers. The system has nginx for a front end and then the Cloudflare Access product for authentication.

We just implemented the Cloudflare SSO plugin and it works fine for browsers. Enter your email, get the six digit code, and then Cloudflare fowards a JWT to Jira, and you are logged in.

Next I want to use the Jira Mobile app from the Play Store. The presence of Cloudflare Access before the actual Jira server means the mobile apps just fail, suggesting you might need a VPN.

Anyone from Cloudflare listening? How do we solve this?

2 answers

0 votes
Igor Ajdišek October 7, 2020

@nealr have you made any discoveries since april? We have exactly the same challenge in our company.

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 2, 2020

Hello @nealr ,

Thank you for reaching out and hopefully someone at cloudflare or another user of the app with an answer sees this thread as well and reaches out too, but I would also recomend checking out the developer info in the readme.md file on the applications github repo and sending an e-mail to the apps developer to see if they can offer any advice or help out further.

Additionally after some discussion with the Jira Mobile dev team they asked that we reach out to you and set you up with a internal support request where we can collect some additional information about you environment and take a look at some of the environment variables to take a closer look at this in the secure portal to see if there is anything they can add to the application get this working for you, 

You should have already received a e-mail for the request creation, but if not please check out the support request at:

Regards,
Earl

Jordan McCombs December 10, 2020

Hey @Earl 

Are there any updates on this that you all could share? Is this possible to implement with Cloudflare sitting in front of your Jira Server / Data Center?

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2020

Hi @Jordan McCombs ,

Reviewing the details it looks like they discovered that the issue is Jira is working fine running through Cloudflare Access, but not for mobile. So to get around the issue they switched to just using Base Cloudflare instead of Cloudflare Access and that works for both desktop and mobile without conflict.

I am not entirely sure what the differences are between the Base Cloudflare and Cloudflare access that causes this conflict, But I recommend reaching out to Cloudflare support to see if they can offer any additional context for this.

Regards,
Earl

Jordan McCombs December 16, 2020

Hey, @Earl McCutcheon .

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I don't think I've gone as far down this path as @nealr , but we've come to the same conclusion that Jira isn't the issue here. 

Unfortunately, we will not be able to remove Jira from using a Cloudflare Access policy, but I will reach out to them to see if they have any other suggestions or solutions. 

I Will update here if we make any progress!

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this

Suggest an answer