Jira migration - how to migrate Jira Plugins with its configurations

Itay Rosenblum March 25, 2019

We ought to migrate our Jira to the parent company.

I could not find information on the web regarding the Plugins migration or in other words, how can I make sure that all customized fields and stored plugins information which is interconnected with the projects are also being migrating to the new Jira instance?

Thanks in advance!

4 answers

0 votes

Thanks! @Tarun Sapra , does it practically mean that each plugin I have which will be installed in advance on the target Jira instance will be able to receive the migrated data and to properly present it on the target Jira instance?

Is it also valid for plugins such as "Structure", "Bigpicture", "Tempo Timesheets" etc?

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2019

Hi Itay,

Let me provide a clarification about Structure. First of all, Structure itself does not create any custom fields, so it is not dependent on Jira data.

However, you will need to proceed with Backup/Restore of the structures, created in your original Jira, they will not be automatically moved with Jira data. Note that for Structure restore to work, you will need to have exactly the same names of projects and numbering of issues in the new Jira as it was in the old Jira - for the migrated data, that is.

Also, since you are moving to the older Jira, you may need to move to an older version of Structure as well. In most cases this does not affect Backup/Restore, but if you are moving from Structure 5.x to 4.x or earlier, note that xml files are not fully compatible due to introduction of manual adjustments - those will be lost in restore process.

If you have any Structure-specific problems during migration, please, don't hesitate to contact us at support@almworks.com

Regards,
Egor Tasa

ALM Works

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2019

Hello @Itay Rosenblum 

If you are doing an project import and the projects are using custom fields coming from specific plugins then those plugins should be installed on the target Jira instance and only then you can import the projects and have the data restored from the plugins.

0 votes

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Unfortunately, the migration is to an older version of Jira so I can't really validate it this way.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2019

Hello @Itay Rosenblum 

Migrating to an older version of Jira can cause some issues, especially if you are using some heavy lifting custom plugins. My suggestion to you is to double-check with the plugin vendors involved and take their opinion as well on this. 

0 votes
Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2019

Hi,

you need to go to administration (/plugins/servlet/upm/check?source=manage) and check compatibility of plugins (Atlassian UPM plugin is ok if incompatible).

check.PNG

Suggest an answer