Jira mail queue service sends emails slowly

Adrian Fita October 30, 2011

Hi. Is there a possibility to speed-up sending the notifications? I'm see aroung 80 messages in the Mail Queue. It's emptying slowly, Flush Queue doesn't seem to do anything. Watching the log of the SMTP server I see that it's sending aroung 1 mail every minute, but it could send much-much more emails.

I checked the Mail Queue Service settings in Administration->Services and the Delay it's sent to 1, but it doesn't let me configure it lower.

So, can you advise me on how to speed-up sending notifications?

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Adrian Fita November 15, 2011

It's working fine now. I think it was just overloaded with worklogs, being the end of the month. I also tweaked down the concurrent connections on our SMTP server through which Jira was sending the notifications because there are some email servers which don't accept too many connections at the same time.

0 votes
Sebastian Mendel May 13, 2020

For our server the incoming mail handlers seemed to be the problem. Mails took up to an hour to be delivered while direct sending emails where delivered instantly.

After pruning all mailboxes used for incoming mail, outgoing mail queue was running fine again.

Mails are now delivered within 4 minutes (with batching set to 2 minutes).

0 votes
Brant Messenger May 13, 2014

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/230289/improvement-mail-queue-service-delay

Please vote this up so we can get an ACTUAL RESOLUTION.

0 votes
richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 9, 2013
0 votes
qhartman August 7, 2013

I recently ran into this same issue, and the core problem turned out to be a DNS misconfiguration. Once that was straightened out, the mail queue stopped getting backed up.

0 votes
Foong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2011

From your log in SAC, JIRA is having OutOfMemoryError which will affect mail queue service as well. You will need to increase the heap memory

0 votes
Jaan Raamets October 31, 2011

The delay is in minutes, that means it should send queued e-mails at 1 minte intervalls. So if your JIRA does not send evreything at once, then something is wrong. Check your JIRA logs and SMTP server logs, maybe you find some errorors/hints there. You might check too that you don't have some e-mail loop with automated responces (JIRA e-mails triggers some automated responce, that triggers new JIRA e-mail etc.).

Suggest an answer