Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Jira - find all child issues of an issue

Hi,

I have an issue MDC-27 which has a child issue of MDC-76.  How do I JQL all the child issues of MDC-27

when I try to use issuekey in childIssuesOf("MDC-27")  no results

3 answers

1 accepted

The answer was 

issue in linkedIssues("DMC-24","is a parent of")

1 vote
Ismael Jimoh Community Leader Jul 06, 2021

Hi @Gavin 

If you have scriptrunner, you can do a search for sub task of as explained here: https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/jql-functions.html#_issue_links

Regards

Is there anyway to do this natively just in case I don't have scriptrunner installed?

waiting on word from admins

Ismael Jimoh Community Leader Jul 07, 2021

Try parent = <parent issue key>

tried that but got nothing came back.

project = XYZ AND issueLinkType = "is a child of"

this at least gets the result in there but it also includes other Childs from other issues.  how can I specify just the child for the issue I'm interested in

0 votes

"parent = MDC-27"

Should return values for "I have an issue MDC-27 which has a child issue of MDC-76.", including MDC-76

If this is not working then I would want to question your definition of "child issue" - do you really mean parent/child (better explained by the Jira-speak issue/sub-task description) or are you looking at Epic links or Issue links (which are not parent/child)?

Thanks for the response.  I tried that but nothing came back.

So my understanding:

MDC-27 - in this issue there is a Issue link section.  Under that second it says is a parent of and MDC-76 is listed there.

MDC-76 - in the same location under is a child of and MDC-27 is listed there.

Hope that helps.

Yep, that explains it.  

MDC-76 is not a child of MDC-27, it has a link (which your admins have mis-lead you slightly by describing it as "is parent of" and "is child of" - they are not parent/child at all)

Anyway, you should be able to get the issues that are linked to it with

linkedissue(MDC-27, "is parent of"). 

(Or possibly "is child of", I'm not 100% sure which way round it works from memory)

Thanks for your patience and help. It's greatly appreciated. 

So when I enter the 

• linkedissue = (MDC-27, "is parent of") I get "Field 'linkedissue' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it."
      • however when I enter the text it shows with a green indicator and the "child" accessible as shared above.  I can manually find them or click them.

That's very odd - could you try a quick test?  Go to search, pick advanced, and start typing the query?  Does "linkedissue" become automatically suggested?

linkedissue doesn't become automatically suggested and linkedissue shows a red exclamation point but when I put linkedissue = (MDC-27, "is parent of") it puts green check mark.

also as I start typing it auto suggests operators and then if you enter a value the exclamation turns to a checkmark.

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Work Management

Lessons from Vilius Zigmantas’ path to Continuous Process Improvement at GeoComply

“Organizations are made of people who create and follow processes which are constantly changing and are in need to be supported and nurtured… this is the spot where I realized I can br...

39 views 0 0
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you