Jira - find all child issues of an issue

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2021

Hi,

I have an issue MDC-27 which has a child issue of MDC-76.  How do I JQL all the child issues of MDC-27

when I try to use issuekey in childIssuesOf("MDC-27")  no results

3 answers

3 votes
Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2021

The answer was 

issue in linkedIssues("DMC-24","is a parent of")

Filipe Teixeira July 28, 2022

This does not work for me.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2022

It's probably because it's not really the right answer.  It's showing you how to search by link, not by parent/child relationship

Are you wanting to search for parent issues?

Wiesioo Wiesioo November 28, 2022

Try "is parent of" instead of "is a parent of"

Filipe Teixeira
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 22, 2024

Yes, the above answer one worked :)

NethruN
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 20, 2024

Above worked. Thanks

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2021

"parent = MDC-27"

Should return values for "I have an issue MDC-27 which has a child issue of MDC-76.", including MDC-76

If this is not working then I would want to question your definition of "child issue" - do you really mean parent/child (better explained by the Jira-speak issue/sub-task description) or are you looking at Epic links or Issue links (which are not parent/child)?

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2021

Thanks for the response.  I tried that but nothing came back.

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2021

So my understanding:

MDC-27 - in this issue there is a Issue link section.  Under that second it says is a parent of and MDC-76 is listed there.

MDC-76 - in the same location under is a child of and MDC-27 is listed there.

Hope that helps.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2021

Yep, that explains it.  

MDC-76 is not a child of MDC-27, it has a link (which your admins have mis-lead you slightly by describing it as "is parent of" and "is child of" - they are not parent/child at all)

Anyway, you should be able to get the issues that are linked to it with

linkedissue(MDC-27, "is parent of"). 

(Or possibly "is child of", I'm not 100% sure which way round it works from memory)

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2021

Thanks for your patience and help. It's greatly appreciated. 

So when I enter the 

• linkedissue = (MDC-27, "is parent of") I get "Field 'linkedissue' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it."
      • however when I enter the text it shows with a green indicator and the "child" accessible as shared above.  I can manually find them or click them.
Like Danish Ali likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2021

That's very odd - could you try a quick test?  Go to search, pick advanced, and start typing the query?  Does "linkedissue" become automatically suggested?

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2021

linkedissue doesn't become automatically suggested and linkedissue shows a red exclamation point but when I put linkedissue = (MDC-27, "is parent of") it puts green check mark.

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2021

also as I start typing it auto suggests operators and then if you enter a value the exclamation turns to a checkmark.

Leonard Sankarathil April 21, 2023

What if we need all features and its child issues for a team ?

Conceptually there is a command childIssuesOf("ABCDED-1234") but

How can I select 

01. Select all features assigned to a team 

02. The all child stories/tasks under above features

this should work like inner query.

Filipe Teixeira
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 15, 2023

This one helped me thanks Nic

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
2 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2021

Hi @Gavin 

If you have scriptrunner, you can do a search for sub task of as explained here: https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/jql-functions.html#_issue_links

Regards

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2021

Is there anyway to do this natively just in case I don't have scriptrunner installed?

waiting on word from admins

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2021

Try parent = <parent issue key>

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2021

tried that but got nothing came back.

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2021

project = XYZ AND issueLinkType = "is a child of"

this at least gets the result in there but it also includes other Childs from other issues.  how can I specify just the child for the issue I'm interested in

Dee March 24, 2023

I realise this thread is an old one but I discovered it as I have the same question as Gavin.

I have just discovered that the query:

key in linkedIssues(<parent key>)

gives me the issues linked as 'is child of' the parent whose key you provide, which is what I needed

Like # people like this
Garret Duffy February 21, 2024

There's an optional second parameter to return the correct linked issues.

key in linkedIssues(<parent key>, "parent of")

Suggest an answer