Jira and PowerBI -- Where do I start to look?

Kalos Bonasia April 17, 2024

Are there any Jira users who have already tackled analysing Jira data with PowerBI and can give me some tips on how to get started? I'm trying to figure out how to connect Jira to PowerBI, possibly without using another paid plugin (at the moment I'm just "learning how to do it", I don't have the budget to buy plugins).
Thank you all for your attention and any help you can give me.

2 answers

1 vote
Anna Odrynska - Alpha Serve
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2024

Hi @Kalos Bonasia 

If you're open to try paid apps - take a look at Power BI Connector for Jira for integration. it is a no-code solution allowing you to easily fetch the needed data from Jira to Power BI, customize this data set and do whatever you need in Power BI. If you're just starting with Power BI, then a templates will be pf great help: https://aserve.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PBCFJC/pages/2592604161/Power+BI+Dashboard+Templates 

Good luck with your Jira reporting! :)

Cheers,

Anna 

Thank you @Anna Odrynska - Alpha Serve for your reply. Yes, I know the plugin, it was the first one I thought of using. But as I said, I do not have a budget to spend at the moment. Also, compared to eazyBI, the plugin you suggest costs more than twice as much, for users in data centres. Without saying anything against the plugin you suggest, which I have seen is very feature rich. But at the moment I am looking for alternatives, if any, to using Jira with PowerBI "gratis".

1 vote
Sebastian Krzewiński
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2024

Hi @Kalos Bonasia 

Few years back my idea was to prepare a snapshot of database and connect PowerBI to that db. This works. I was able to get data from there and create reports. I don't reccomend connect PowerBi directly to production db.

Regards,

Seba

Thanks for your very quick reply. I agree with you about not connecting to the production db. I have some experience with eazyBI and before that with Tableau. Now I "have to" learn PowerBI because it is the main tool I am allowed to use. So to make a copy of the db, do you really mean clone the Jira db or do you suggest some tool, app, found in PowerBI ?

Sebastian Krzewiński
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2024

I mean make a copy of existing db

Like Kalos Bonasia likes this

Suggest an answer