Jira Toolkit Plugin: Message Field shows as a normal text field

Marco Falsone December 11, 2018

Hi,

I am trying to use the Message Custom field (for edit) in one of our Request in Jira Service Desk.

We are on Jira Server 7.13 and Jira Toolkit version is 0.35.14.

I created the custom field, added it into the proper screen and then into the request type from Service Desk, changed the default value.

No matter what I type in the default value, the field shows in the form but, weirdly, as a text editable field.

Is there anything I am doing wrong? Any setting I need to change to make sure the custom field behave as expected? Any help or suggestion would be really appreciated!

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2018

I think those Message fields just work with Jira interface screens, and not with Service Desk customer portal. 

However, Jira Service Desk request types include help text fields next to each field for adding instructional text. If I'm remembering it correctly, there's even an introductory text field at your disposal in the latest versions of Jira Service Desk.

Regards

Marco Falsone December 11, 2018

Hi Ignacio,

Thanks for your answer.

The main reason I am trying to use the Message custom fields, is to create some kind of header/divider between sections of fields.

Can you think about a different way to achieve it?

Regards

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2018

The only alternatives I can think of at this moment are:

1. Add appropriate JavaScript in the announcement banner for modifying the DOM on page load. (Not very recommendable)
  2. Add an ugly custom field named '______________' trying different types to get the one with the most "beautiful" (the least inconvenient) input field for providing a value.
  3. ScriptRunner Web Fragments: https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/CustomisingUI.html

Suggest an answer