Jira Admin vs Project Admin

Deleted user November 23, 2017

Is there something that Project Administrator can do, but Jira Administrator can not do on the project?

1 answer

1 vote
Martin Orzaiz (Atlassian)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 23, 2017

Hey Duje,

For Project Admins, and especially after 7.3, they have a lot more ability to administer a project.

Permission to administer a project in JIRA. This includes the ability to edit a project's workflow under certain conditions, andto edit project role membershipproject componentsproject versions, and some project details ('Project Name', 'URL', 'Project Lead', 'Project Description').

The JIRA Admin can basically do everything on a JIRA Instance.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Martin

Thanks for your answer Martin, however I am aware of the things project admin can do. I am searching explicitly for something a Project Admin can do what Jira Admin can not.

Martin Orzaiz (Atlassian)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 23, 2017

There is nothing a Project Admin can do that a JIRA Admin can't. JIRA Admins have full permissions in the entire system, including projects. So to answer your question, no, there's nothing the Project Admin can do that the JIRA Admin can't. Configuration wise, there's nothing. We could change visibility of things for the Admin not to see certain issues.

If the project admin changes the permission of the "Browse Project" within the Permission Scheme, the JIRA System Administrator won't be able to see issues of this project, but we'll be able to access the permission scheme and change according to your preferences.

Let us know if this has clarified your doubts.

Thank you for the answer once again! I am aware of the things you have stated, that is why I didn't know the answer to the question and was hoping to find out something I was not aware of before.  However I am pretty sure it was the question in my exam, and only possible solution was asking as I am unable to find anything that could satisfy the question. Could it be a mistake???

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2017

Not really, any time a question was written and questioned as to whether it might be wrong, we reverted to the documentation.  Whilst the bulk of the questions were written for 6.4 and 7, Atlassian do try to update them, and use the "when in doubt, we need to point at a public doc".

But, the original answer remains fundamentally correct.  Everything a project admin can do, a Jira admin can do.  Although they may have to add themselves to the right permissions first.

Priska Aprilia November 12, 2018

If you have a restriction in transition an issue to a certain project role/group where Jira Admin is not part of that project role/group, the Jira Admin will not be able to do transition that has this kind of restriction.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events