Jenkins integration with Jira server

Sharan_Patil April 20, 2020

Hello,

I want to integrate Jenkins with Jira server. When i googled for the same, I found Jenkins integration with Jira cloud: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/integrate-jira-cloud-with-jenkins-972355471.html  

I am not sure if process mentioned in the above link can be followed to integrate Jenkins with Jira server. 

I am trying to create an issue based on the Jenkins build, for that i first need to integrate Jenkins with Jira server.

If any one knows the steps to integrate Jenkins with Jira server, Please help me.

Thanks,

Sharan

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 22, 2020

Hi Sharan,

I understand you want to integrate Jira server with Jenkins.  However the documentation link you posted is specific to Jira Cloud.  Those steps won't work with Jira server versions.

Instead, I'd recommend checking out the Marketplace applications for Jira server regarding Jenkins.  There are a number of different options there that should be able to help you with this kind of integration.  Some of these have a cost, while others such as Jenkins Utils for Jira appears to be a free app provided by that vendor.  They also have a Quick start FAQ for setting up this integration.

Depending on which solution you choose, the steps to integrate Jenkins with that add-on will be solution dependent.

I hope this helps.

Andy 

Sharan_Patil April 23, 2020

Hello Andy,

Thank you for the reply. I have configured the OAuth required for Jenkins-Jira server integration from the link: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/jira-rest-api-oauth-authentication/#overview i have done it till step 2 and Mentioned the details in Jenkins. When i tried to get(access) the issue from the Jira through Jenkins i am getting the below error: 

ERROR: {"errorMessages":["You do not have the permission to see the specified issue.","Login Required"],"errors":{}}
Finished: FAILURE

I can see that i am unable to login to the Jira. I don't the root cause of it. should i perform step3 and 4 in the above link or is there something i am missing?

Please help.

Thanks,

Sharan

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 24, 2020

Which platform are you using Jira on?  Is this Jira Cloud or Jira Server?  I ask because you linked to Cloud version of that document, but this particular issue has a server tag on it.  So I am confused about which platform Jira is using here.  There is a different guide for using OAuth for Jira server.  If Jira is the server version, then you might want to try to follow the steps in https://developer.atlassian.com/server/jira/platform/oauth/ instead.

If this is Jira Cloud, then yes, you will need to complete steps 3 and 4 of that first guide in order to be able to make these kinds of requests.

Sharan_Patil April 27, 2020

Sorry for the confusion, I am using Jira Server and thank you for the OAuth link. I was able to successfully configure OAuth credentials with the link i sent, i didn't follow all the steps though.

Now, I am facing to another issue. Whenever i shut down or restart my system i cannot access Jira server at: http://localhost8080 on my system. It says "This site can't be reached". I don't know if this issue is due to some to Jira or due to my system settings.

Please help me resolve this issue.

Thanks

Sharan

Sharan_Patil April 27, 2020

When i checked Catalina.log it says: "Could not contact [localhost:[8005]]. Tomcat may not be running." 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
April 28, 2020

Hi Sharan,

It might be better to start a new question since this appears to be a completely different problem from the original post.  That said, Jira has a couple of different ways you can start it, and these vary based on your host operating system.

Port 8005 is the control port that is used to start/stop the application.  However that is not required to be able to use Jira, it just helps to facilitate smooth and controlled shutdowns.  For that reason I think we should ignore that detail for the time being.

If your $JIRAINSTALL/conf/server.xml has a connector bound to port 8080, then that's the port you would expect to connect on for web traffic.  I recommend checking out Start and Stop Jira applications.  It covers both Linux and Windows systems on the ways in which you can start and stop the application. If Jira is not being started as a service, then I don't expect Jira to start when the operating system starts up.

Try the steps on that page to start Jira.

Regards,

Andy

Suggest an answer