JQL Query for summary

Matthias July 13, 2020

Hi all,

I have an issue with summary "Test DA".

JQL Query "summary ~ Test" finds my issue.

JQL Query "summary ~ DA" does not find my issue.

What happens here? How can I find all issues with the String "DA" in the summary?

Thanks for your help,
Matthias

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2020

Hi @Matthias 

Even though not listed in the documentation for the advanced search functions, it appears that the contains (~) for text field doesn't always match.  

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/advanced-search-reference-jql-operators/

Try adding a wildcard character to see if that helps:  summary ~ "DA*"

Best regards,

Bill

Matthias July 15, 2020

Thanks for your hint.

• summary ~ "DA*" does not help
  • But summary ~ \"DA\" does the expected search

I really would like to understand why summary ~ DA does not work ...

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2020

I am glad you got that to work!

Yes, I am also puzzled by it not working as-is.  I have had other 2-character long searches find matches, so it is not length-related, and "DA" does not appear to be a reserved word/operator.  Very curious...

There appears to be quite a bit about JQL which is undocumented.  Often I run into errors indicating something is invalid or a reserved word requiring quotes for matches.  I hypothesize there is something in the parsing of JQL to the underlying query language for the database that it does not like.

Matthias July 16, 2020

Very strange: in a fresh install with only one issue with the summary "Test DA" the search "summary ~ DA" gets the correct result ...

Ticket at atlassian is open. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2020

Thanks!  Please post back here what you learn from Atlassian so we can all understand this better.

Matthias August 14, 2020

You can find the issue for Jira here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-71393

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2020

Hi @Matthias , and thank you for the update.

__Bill

0 votes
Erin Liva July 7, 2023

Using a ? after the word worked for me. The * and the escape \ did not.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events