JIra License - Guest User

Raj Varadan July 5, 2019

Hello there - 

We are planning to invite external users to our Jira board, have a couple of questions?

• To begin with, if we add them under user management and assign them as a Guest on the project will we need to buy a license?
  • Will the external users can see all the projects available with our Org? If yes, any thoughts of controlling the visibility?

BR, R

1 answer

1 vote
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2019

Hi @Raj Varadan 

• To begin with, if we add them under user management and assign them as a Guest on the project will we need to buy a license?

Yes you would need to buy them a license or grant them one from your current available JIRA Software license.

• Will the external users can see all the projects available with our Org? If yes, any thoughts of controlling the visibility?

This depends on how you configure your project permissions. If you grant all logged in users the browse project permission for example, then the user would see everything.

In a case like this, I do the following:

1. Create a new group External
  2. Associate this group with the JIRA Software license.
  3. Create an account for the user.
  4. Remove the user from the jira-software-users group and add them instead to the External group only.
  5. Go to the project you want the user to see and associate the user with a Role (under users and roles setting).
  6. Grant this role the appropriate permissions relative to what the External user would be doing in your JIRA Board.

The above should fix the problem. Do note though that if you are sharing permission schemes across multiple projects or any of your permission schemes uses All logged in users then you would need to adjust this first else the user would see all your projects.

Cheers.

Raj Varadan July 7, 2019

Thank you, I will have my team try your recommendations. 

Sylvain Baron June 1, 2023

When associating the External group with the JIRA Software license, it provide "browse projects" permission to the users from that group :-(

Suggest an answer