JIRA and Confluence DB Concern

Eznerol August 3, 2017

Hello Cool People,

We are planning to do an update on our Database Server where the Confluence and JIRA DB is located.  Just wanted to check if there should be a special consideration on the JIRA or Confluence side. Are there any steps or documentation somewhere I can check as reference since we need to restart Database Server. I'm not worried on the user side since this is scheduled on a weekend and there should be no user connected to JIRA and Confluence. I hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks,

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2017

For best results, shut down JIRA and Confluence before the upgrade to the DB server. The applications do not always recover gracefully from suddenly losing their database connections.

Please check the supported platforms for the versions of Confluence and JIRA, to make sure the upgraded database version is compatible. Here are the latest supported platforms, you will want to check the pages for your versions if you aren't running the latest:

Supported platforms JIRA 7.4.x

Supported platforms Confluence 6.3.x

Eznerol August 4, 2017

Thank you @AnnWorley for the tip. I should have missed to check the supported platform.  I'll let you know hot it goes. :)

0 votes
Edwin Kyalangalilwa
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2017

I'd look into the supported platforms to make sure the DB version you are upgrading to is compatible with the applications

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/supported-platforms-207488198.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver072/supported-platforms-828787550.html

Make a backup of your home directory and JIRA installation directory and DB so you can roll back in case of anything.

Shutdown JIRA and Confluence before restarting the DB.

Also update the database connector lib file to match the DB version.

Eznerol August 4, 2017

Thanks for the tip @Edwin Kyalangalilwa. I'll take note of the backup as well. Thanks!

Suggest an answer