JIRA - Cloning Databases

Stephen Marsh March 8, 2018

Hi, I have a JIRA instance that is currently on version 7.1.4 (pre-prod) and another instance that has 7.4.6 (test). I would like to revert the 7.4.6 back to version 7.1.4.... I have the backed up home and installlation directorys to do this but dont have the database backup.

Is it possible to clone the pre-prod database to the test database, restore the test environment 7.1.4 home and installation backups and then start JIRA? Will this work? and if so is there anything else i need to consider?

So basically i want to clone a 7.1.4 DB to replace a 7.4.6 DB. I should add that the content in both environments is the same apart from the number of isues and the different versions

Thanks,

Stephen

1 answer

0 votes
Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2018

hi there,

reverting back to a previous minor version should not cause any problems but you definitely need to test it before you go ahead.

Ideally you'd move the data from one DB to the other and 'just' connect Jira to the other DB.

Your rollback is relatively simple: connect back to the original DB in case of any problems. Just remember that data created using the new DB will be lost.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/connecting-jira-applications-to-a-database-802592175.html

The above documentation should guide you.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers,
Krisz

Stephen Marsh March 8, 2018

Hi Krisz,

Thank you for your answer...

I cloned the 7.1.4 database and restored it over the 7.5.3 database. The DB has kept its original name etc just all the data and structure has reverted back to 7.1.4 version. I needed to do this as 7.5.3 has some extra columns on tables so I wanted the structure to be as 7.4.1 was. I then reverted to the original 7.1.4 home and installation directories and restarted JIRA. When i restarted the application it was asking me to setup a new DB as if it couldnt recognise the restored one, i didn't make any changes to the DB config XML as it was essentially the same DB but had just been cloned over. Any ideas if i am missing something?

Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2018

Are you sure every detail is the same?

It seems that Jira cannot find a database under that name/link/credentials.

Suggest an answer